GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   grounds for divorce (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/60864-grounds-divorce.html)

Kate Morgan 08-05-2004 03:08 PM

grounds for divorce

or how can I sabotage my husbands strimmer without him suspecting it is
me? every year about this time he runs amok with said strimmer and every
year my bank of nettles and wild flowers get the chop, I am very very
upset in fact I think I will give up gardening :-(
kate

Cereus-validus 08-05-2004 04:11 PM

grounds for divorce

Sit the dolt down and talk to him about the error of his way and his
blissful ignorance.

If that doesn't work, put sugar in the gas tank.

Kate Morgan 08-05-2004 04:15 PM

grounds for divorce

Sit the dolt down and talk to him about the error of his way and his
blissful ignorance.

If that doesn't work, put sugar in the gas tank.

I have told him before so I think it has to be sugar

sad blue eyes :-(

Dogger 08-05-2004 09:02 PM

grounds for divorce

On Sat, 8 May 2004 14:58:21 +0100, Kate Morgan
wrote:

or how can I sabotage my husbands strimmer without him suspecting it is
me? every year about this time he runs amok with said strimmer and every
year my bank of nettles and wild flowers get the chop, I am very very
upset in fact I think I will give up gardening :-(
kate

If you were any sort of wife you would be doing the strimming whilst
he watched the telly. Now stop windging and make the tea.

Before I get torn apart by all the lovely hard working ladys Only
joking

Kate Morgan 08-05-2004 09:02 PM

grounds for divorce

If you were any sort of wife you would be doing the strimming whilst
he watched the telly. Now stop windging and make the tea.

Before I get torn apart by all the lovely hard working ladys Only
joking

Glad to hear it :-)))

Mike Lyle 08-05-2004 10:06 PM

grounds for divorce

Kate Morgan wrote in message t...
Sit the dolt down and talk to him about the error of his way and his
blissful ignorance.

If that doesn't work, put sugar in the gas tank.

I have told him before so I think it has to be sugar

I find his behaviour very strange indeed: but you married him, so I
suppose he can't be a complete swine. You could always annually
destroy something _he_ likes, of course. Have you tried asking him to
put off the cut until, say, July, when things have had a chance to
seed? This is common enough practice for wild-flower collections. I
assume you want the nettles for wildlife habitat; if not, perhaps you
could compromise by getting the nettles out (a long tough job) and
leaving the more flowery things.

Mike.

Kate Morgan 08-05-2004 10:08 PM

grounds for divorce

I find his behaviour very strange indeed: but you married him, so I
suppose he can't be a complete swine. You could always annually
destroy something _he_ likes, of course. Have you tried asking him to
put off the cut until, say, July, when things have had a chance to
seed? This is common enough practice for wild-flower collections. I
assume you want the nettles for wildlife habitat; if not, perhaps you
could compromise by getting the nettles out (a long tough job) and
leaving the more flowery things.

Mike.

No he is not a complete swine, he is very nice and kind really just not
a gardener, he always goes at things with great energy and as we have a
great deal of grass to cut he just goes into overdrive and I get upset
when I see stuff getting chopped, yes the nettles were for the wildlife
and tomorrow when I cool off I will try and explain more fully what I
want to preserve. I do feel like trashing summat in his workshop but
have not done it - yet :-)

kate

David Hill 08-05-2004 11:09 PM

grounds for divorce

Why not rope off the area you want to keep?
A number of canes pushed in around the perimeter and then cord tied from one
to the other. Then when he comes up to it he should remember it's special.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Kate Morgan 08-05-2004 11:14 PM

grounds for divorce

Why not rope off the area you want to keep?
A number of canes pushed in around the perimeter and then cord tied from one
to the other. Then when he comes up to it he should remember it's special.

Its too late for my nettles but they will grow again soon I hope and
yes it is a good idea to fence/rope of the special areas,my daughter has
already suggested that so now I must act, tomorrow is another day :-)

Kate Morgan 08-05-2004 11:15 PM

grounds for divorce

just wanted to say thanks for all the answers and helpful suggestions,
as I have just said to David tomorrow is another day and I will sort it
and husband :-)))

now calm Kate

JennyC 09-05-2004 09:07 AM

grounds for divorce

[...]

How about (temporary) fencing around things you want to keep ?
Then he'll know which bits to cut ! I find that men (in general) need VERY
specific instructions :~)
Jenny

Howard Neil 09-05-2004 11:08 AM

grounds for divorce

JennyC wrote:

How about (temporary) fencing around things you want to keep ?
Then he'll know which bits to cut ! I find that men (in general) need VERY
specific instructions :~)

This is very true. The problem is that women (in general) do not know
how to be specific. :-)

--
Howard Neil

Sacha 09-05-2004 01:08 PM

grounds for divorce

Howard Neil9/5/04 10:06

JennyC wrote:

How about (temporary) fencing around things you want to keep ?
Then he'll know which bits to cut ! I find that men (in general) need VERY
specific instructions :~)

This is very true. The problem is that women (in general) do not know
how to be specific. :-)

How can you be more specific than 'please do NOT cut down the nettles"? ;-)
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)

Joanne 09-05-2004 01:08 PM

grounds for divorce

"Sacha" wrote in message
Then he'll know which bits to cut ! I find that men (in general) need

VERY
specific instructions :~)

My dad was always chopping down my chives because he thought it was grass.
You might need to go out and show your spouse exactly what a nettle looks
like! If he still doesn't get the message, have him touch the nettles so he
knows what they feel like !!!!!!!!!

David Hill 09-05-2004 02:08 PM

grounds for divorce

".......... I find that men (in general) need VERY
specific instructions :~) ............"

But at least we then remember.........unlike most Women who's response is
"You never told me, I don't know who you told but it wasn't me"

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

David Hill 09-05-2004 02:09 PM

grounds for divorce

"........ How can you be more specific than 'please do NOT cut down the
nettles"? ,,,,,,,"

Ah! but which nettles?

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

dave @ stejonda 09-05-2004 02:10 PM

grounds for divorce

In message , David Hill
writes
But at least we then remember.........unlike most Women who's response
is "You never told me, I don't know who you told but it wasn't me"

so true - sigh!!!

--
dave @ stejonda

dave @ stejonda 09-05-2004 02:10 PM

grounds for divorce

In message , Sacha
writes
How can you be more specific than 'please do NOT cut down the nettles"?
;-)

simple - "please do not cut down 'those' nettles"

Women! - no logic in their thinking at all!!

grin

--
dave @ stejonda

Howard Neil 09-05-2004 02:11 PM

grounds for divorce

JennyC wrote:

This is how a call from a friend went........
Leo picks up phone : Hello?
Friend : Is Jenny there ?
Leo: Yes
Friend: Is she busy?
Leo:Perhaps
Friend:Can I speak to her?
Leo:I'll ask.........

Friend obviously immediately meant "Please put Jenny on"
Leo is a VERY logical type male :~))

That all sounds logical to me. :-)

--
Howard Neil

Sacha 09-05-2004 03:07 PM

grounds for divorce

David Hill9/5/04 1:20

"........ How can you be more specific than 'please do NOT cut down the
nettles"? ,,,,,,,"

Ah! but which nettles?

"ALL the nettles" or "the nettles in the back garden". I mean - we get
nettles among e.g. the peonies at the moment. Would a husband strim the
peonies, too? I might not want to know the answer to that......
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)

Sacha 09-05-2004 03:08 PM

grounds for divorce

dave @ stejonda9/5/04 1:36

In message , Sacha
writes
How can you be more specific than 'please do NOT cut down the nettles"?
;-)

simple - "please do not cut down 'those' nettles"

Women! - no logic in their thinking at all!!

grin

On the contrary. My simple solution saves all the nettles. Then, in gentle
and easy-to-comprehend stages, one can introduce the qualifiers. It takes
time and patience but I'm sure that with kindness, training can be achieved.
;-)
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)

Brian 09-05-2004 05:07 PM

grounds for divorce

Forgive for being off topic a little. As an undergardener's boy's 2nd
assistant in Herts. I spent weeks on my knees pulling 'annual nettles' from
the strawberry beds. I have never seen or heard of them them since. Did they
really exist or were my swollen hands imaginary? It was quite a few decades
ago!
Best Wishes Brian
"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
dave @ stejonda9/5/04 1:36

In message , Sacha
writes

JennyC 09-05-2004 05:08 PM

grounds for divorce

"Joanne" wrote in message
"Sacha" wrote in message
Then he'll know which bits to cut ! I find that men (in general) need

VERY
specific instructions :~)

My dad was always chopping down my chives because he thought it was grass.
You might need to go out and show your spouse exactly what a nettle looks
like! If he still doesn't get the message, have him touch the nettles so he
knows what they feel like !!!!!!!!!

You could also get a couple of those naf butterfly's on sticks. Put them in
amongst the nettles to remind him why they should not be cut down :~)
Jenny

Malcolm 09-05-2004 05:10 PM

grounds for divorce

In article , Kate Morgan
writes

Why not rope off the area you want to keep?
A number of canes pushed in around the perimeter and then cord tied from one
to the other. Then when he comes up to it he should remember it's special.

Its too late for my nettles but they will grow again soon I hope and
yes it is a good idea to fence/rope of the special areas,my daughter has
already suggested that so now I must act, tomorrow is another day :-)

Have you thought of showing him this thread?

--
Malcolm

Kay Easton 09-05-2004 06:07 PM

grounds for divorce

In article EXonc.31$pe.12@newsfe1-win, Joanne
writes
"Sacha" wrote in message
Then he'll know which bits to cut ! I find that men (in general) need

VERY
specific instructions :~)

My dad was always chopping down my chives because he thought it was grass.
You might need to go out and show your spouse exactly what a nettle looks
like! If he still doesn't get the message, have him touch the nettles so he
knows what they feel like !!!!!!!!!

You could warn him that if he strims them, the odd one will fly up in
the air, and if it hits him in the face it could be *very* painful ..

Not at all true afaik, but it might do the trick ;-)

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Kay Easton 09-05-2004 06:07 PM

grounds for divorce

In article , Brian
writes
Forgive for being off topic a little. As an undergardener's boy's 2nd
assistant in Herts. I spent weeks on my knees pulling 'annual nettles' from
the strawberry beds. I have never seen or heard of them them since. Did they
really exist or were my swollen hands imaginary? It was quite a few decades
ago!

They exist. Urtica urens, as opposed to U dioica, which is the perennial
one. U dioica seems to spread mainly by runners, and I've always assumed
those little seedlings you get coming up in early summer are U urens.
Apparently U urens has male and female flowers on the same plants,
whereas U dioica has them on separate plants, but I've never let either
of them hang around long enough to find out.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Brian 09-05-2004 07:06 PM

grounds for divorce

Many thanks Kay. I just can't find my Clapham Tutin and Warburg. It was kind
of you to respond.
Regards Brian
"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Brian
writes

Rhiannon S 09-05-2004 09:03 PM

grounds for divorce

Subject: grounds for divorce
From: Sacha
Date: 09/05/2004 12:33 GMT Daylight Time
Howard Neil9/5/04 10:06
@ stones.force9.net

JennyC wrote:

How about (temporary) fencing around things you want to keep ?
Then he'll know which bits to cut ! I find that men (in general) need VERY
specific instructions :~)

This is very true. The problem is that women (in general) do not know
how to be specific. :-)

How can you be more specific than 'please do NOT cut down the nettles"? ;-)

Cut down those nettles and sex is out of the question 'til they grow back.

What?
--
Rhiannon
http://www.livejournal.com/users/rhiannon_s/

Kate Morgan 09-05-2004 09:05 PM

grounds for divorce

Why not rope off the area you want to keep?
A number of canes pushed in around the perimeter and then cord tied from one
to the other. Then when he comes up to it he should remember it's special.

Its too late for my nettles but they will grow again soon I hope and
yes it is a good idea to fence/rope of the special areas,my daughter has
already suggested that so now I must act, tomorrow is another day :-)

Have you thought of showing him this thread?

No, he does not come near my p.c. except when he wants to know summat
for his b. pub quiz :-) He is playing boogie on his piano at the moment,
very loudly, excuse me I have got to go somewhere :-)

Kate Morgan 09-05-2004 09:06 PM

grounds for divorce

In
You can do as my wife did. she literally smasshed it into the driveway until
it broke.

Good heavens what did you do to deserve that or is it summat that we
dont need to know :-)

Kate Morgan 09-05-2004 09:07 PM

grounds for divorce

How about (temporary) fencing around things you want to keep ?
Then he'll know which bits to cut ! I find that men (in general) need VERY
specific instructions :~)

I have found some elctric fencing it just needs a new battery, every
time the strimmer comes out I will go and fence off the special areas,
that should work.

Malcolm 10-05-2004 09:04 AM

grounds for divorce

In article , Kate Morgan
writes

Why not rope off the area you want to keep?
A number of canes pushed in around the perimeter and then cord
tied from one
to the other. Then when he comes up to it he should remember it's
special.

Its too late for my nettles but they will grow again soon I hope and
yes it is a good idea to fence/rope of the special areas,my daughter has
already suggested that so now I must act, tomorrow is another day :-)

Have you thought of showing him this thread?

No, he does not come near my p.c. except when he wants to know summat
for his b. pub quiz :-) He is playing boogie on his piano at the moment,
very loudly, excuse me I have got to go somewhere :-)

Print it out and give it to him.

--
Malcolm

Sacha 10-05-2004 11:06 AM

grounds for divorce

Rhiannon S9/5/04 8:32

From: Sacha

Date: 09/05/2004 12:33 GMT Daylight Time
Howard Neil9/5/04 10:06

JennyC wrote:

How about (temporary) fencing around things you want to keep ?
Then he'll know which bits to cut ! I find that men (in general) need VERY
specific instructions :~)

This is very true. The problem is that women (in general) do not know
how to be specific. :-)

How can you be more specific than 'please do NOT cut down the nettles"? ;-)

Cut down those nettles and sex is out of the question 'til they grow back.

What?
--

Talk about cutting off your nettles to spite your face.......

--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)

Howard Neil 10-05-2004 12:05 PM

grounds for divorce

Sacha wrote:

Talk about cutting off your nettles to spite your face.......

Indeed. With the European Cup soon to start, he may make sure that every
nettle is cut very close to the ground. :-)

--
Howard Neil

RichardS 10-05-2004 02:04 PM

grounds for divorce

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
or how can I sabotage my husbands strimmer without him suspecting it is
me? every year about this time he runs amok with said strimmer and every
year my bank of nettles and wild flowers get the chop, I am very very
upset in fact I think I will give up gardening :-(
kate

How about a liberal installation of wire hoops in the nettle patch - about
6 or 8 inches high ought to do it.

After the 15th time of having to reset the strimmer cable because it's
broken on the hoop he might give up on it... (unless it's an auto-feeding
strimmer... my memory seems to suggest that such beasties do exist).

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Kate Morgan 10-05-2004 03:10 PM

grounds for divorce

How about a liberal installation of wire hoops in the nettle patch - about
6 or 8 inches high ought to do it.

After the 15th time of having to reset the strimmer cable because it's
broken on the hoop he might give up on it... (unless it's an auto-feeding
strimmer... my memory seems to suggest that such beasties do exist).

--
Richard Sampson

what a brilliant ides thanks :-)))

tuin man 10-05-2004 09:17 PM

grounds for divorce

"JennyC" wrote in message
Sniped

! I find that men (in general) need VERY
specific instructions :~)
Jenny

Alternatively.... try confusion.
Pot up the nettles in nice big pots ...and I don't mean plastic ones... not
even imitation terracotta.

Patrick