Old 11-05-2004, 07:03 PM
Victoria Clare

Default Lelandi problem (sort of!)

Kay Easton wrote in
:

Am I the only person who likes trees in towns? It's OK for you country
dwellers with your huge or isolated gardens, but however much any of us
would like to live in the country, the majority of jobs are in the
towns, and so most of us live in towns. And towns can so easily be
walls, roofs, walls and more walls, with no greenery above eye level.

You are quite right - and town trees should be grown and kept, even if at
some inconvenience.

But I do think evergreens are often particularly hated because they cut
out the light so completely, and all year round.

I was thinking a nice ornamental crabapple instead might be just the job ?

(To balance my earlier leylandii tale, we have a big holly right on the
south border of our north-sloping garden, but it's so nice I have no desire
to get rid of it. And an old oak that could be said by a philistine to
block our view at the front - but I'm very fond of it).

Victoria