Old 13-05-2004, 02:07 AM
Stan The Man

Default Palm trees

Can anyone please tell me anything about palm trees? I've been offered
a dozen 8ft ones in pots at a giveaway price and I quite like the idea
as I need somewhere to sling a hammock - but only if I can plant them
in my Berkshire clay. Had previously assumed that they were native to
the Bahamas and Torbay.

Stan
Old 13-05-2004, 09:09 PM
Adam Davis

"Stan The Man" wrote in message
Can anyone please tell me anything about palm trees? I've been offered
a dozen 8ft ones in pots at a giveaway price and I quite like the idea
as I need somewhere to sling a hammock - but only if I can plant them
in my Berkshire clay. Had previously assumed that they were native to
the Bahamas and Torbay.

Stan

What kind of palms are they?

Trachycarpus do very well on clay as long as you give them a helping hand
with the drainage at first.

Adam

Old 18-05-2004, 08:13 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Stan The Man" wrote in message
Can anyone please tell me anything about palm trees? I've been offered
a dozen 8ft ones in pots at a giveaway price and I quite like the idea
as I need somewhere to sling a hammock - but only if I can plant them
in my Berkshire clay. Had previously assumed that they were native to
the Bahamas and Torbay.

Stan

depends whether you are talking true palms or Cordylines? if the former then
there is a very good chapter on growing palms in the UK in a book called
"Gardening on the Edge"

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk