Old 13-05-2004, 03:11 PM
MallowKat

Default Mystery plant...

growing in my Mums garden like a weed. Any ideas?

http://www.members.aol.com/mallowkat/Mystery1.jpg

Thankyou
~Mallow~
Old 13-05-2004, 06:10 PM
Kay Easton

In article , MallowKat
writes
growing in my Mums garden like a weed. Any ideas?

http://www.members.aol.com/mallowkat/Mystery1.jpg

I can't get it to load

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 13-05-2004, 06:16 PM
MallowKat

I can't get it to load

Really? It works for me. I'll re-upload it and see if that makes a difference.

~Mallow~
Old 13-05-2004, 06:18 PM
Glen Able

Ground elder, I'd reckon. Your mum should probably move house quickly

For reference:
http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/grndelder.JPG

Old 13-05-2004, 06:18 PM
Victoria Clare

(MallowKat) wrote in news:20040513094658.12637.00001184
@mb-m15.aol.com:

growing in my Mums garden like a weed. Any ideas?

http://www.members.aol.com/mallowkat/Mystery1.jpg

I think it *is* a weed - ground elder.

I rather like it (good ground cover, has flowers, is edible) but it does
spread and is hard to get rid of.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall

Old 13-05-2004, 11:25 PM
Bob Hobden

Mallow wrote in message
growing in my Mums garden like a weed. Any ideas?

http://www.members.aol.com/mallowkat/Mystery1.jpg

It is a weed, and one of the worse ones.
I think this site might have a better picture of what your Mum has...
http://www.bioimages.org.uk/html/P158965.HTM

and what to do about it..... turn the garden over to grass and keep mowing
which will eventually kill it off. Or Dig out as much of the white roots as
possible, let it regrow and hit it with a good systemic weedkiller, Roundup
or similar.

--
Regards
Bob

Some photos of my plants at.....

Hope you like them.

Old 14-05-2004, 12:02 PM
David

My own experience is that no matter how carefully you dig the stuff up
invariably bits of root are left which grow into individual weeds. I found
that by using roundup (twice) I was able to completely rid one completely
infested area of my garden but in the other area where I had spent many days
carefully digging and lifting out lots of broken bits of the root, it was
regrowing again season after season, even after using roundup, as the
individual bits of root developed into plants and broke through the soil,

good luck

David

Old 14-05-2004, 11:13 PM
MallowKat

Thankyou to everyone for the identification and the advice - I'll pass it on!

~Mallow~