Old 15-05-2004, 09:04 AM
Chris

Default Are leeks still OK to eat?

Are leeks still OK to eat?
There are just a few left - and they are going to seed.
They have a solid bit in the middle - but they taste all right - I've
been eating them raw, thinly sliced, in salads.
Just thought I'd better check they're not poisonous or anything!
--
Chris
Old 15-05-2004, 11:06 AM
martin

On Sat, 15 May 2004 08:22:00 +0100, Chris ] wrote:

Are leeks still OK to eat?
There are just a few left - and they are going to seed.
They have a solid bit in the middle - but they taste all right - I've
been eating them raw, thinly sliced, in salads.
Just thought I'd better check they're not poisonous or anything!

Is this your swan song? :-)
Old 15-05-2004, 01:02 PM
JennyC

"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
Are leeks still OK to eat?
There are just a few left - and they are going to seed.
They have a solid bit in the middle - but they taste all right - I've
been eating them raw, thinly sliced, in salads.
Just thought I'd better check they're not poisonous or anything!
--
Chris

Why would they be suddenly poisonous?
Jenny

Old 15-05-2004, 02:14 PM
Brian

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
Are leeks still OK to eat?
There are just a few left - and they are going to seed.
They have a solid bit in the middle - but they taste all right - I've
been eating them raw, thinly sliced, in salads.
Just thought I'd better check they're not poisonous or anything!
--
Chris

Why would they be suddenly poisonous?
Jenny

They are perfectly edible but do get to resemble old boots! The central

hard bit is the flower stalk.
Best Wishes. Brian.

Old 15-05-2004, 06:07 PM
Jeanne Stockdale

"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
Are leeks still OK to eat?
There are just a few left - and they are going to seed.
They have a solid bit in the middle - but they taste all right - I've
been eating them raw, thinly sliced, in salads.
Just thought I'd better check they're not poisonous or anything!
--
Chris

If they are going to seed, then they are probably also woody. I used the
last of mine to make lots of soup for the freezer.

Jeanne

Old 15-05-2004, 07:17 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , JennyC
writes

"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
Are leeks still OK to eat?
There are just a few left - and they are going to seed.
They have a solid bit in the middle - but they taste all right - I've
been eating them raw, thinly sliced, in salads.
Just thought I'd better check they're not poisonous or anything!
--
Chris

Why would they be suddenly poisonous?
Jenny

I have no particular reason to think that this applies (or doesn't
apply) to leeks, but there are a number of plants where the toxicity
increases with age.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 16-05-2004, 06:08 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Sat, 15 May 2004 08:22:00 +0100, Chris wrote:

Are leeks still OK to eat?
There are just a few left - and they are going to seed.
They have a solid bit in the middle - but they taste all right - I've
been eating them raw, thinly sliced, in salads.
Just thought I'd better check they're not poisonous or anything!

They're safe. It's parsnips you have to be careful about.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 16-05-2004, 09:10 PM
Chris

In article , Rodger Whitlock
writes
On Sat, 15 May 2004 08:22:00 +0100, Chris wrote:

Are leeks still OK to eat?
There are just a few left - and they are going to seed.
They have a solid bit in the middle - but they taste all right - I've
been eating them raw, thinly sliced, in salads.
Just thought I'd better check they're not poisonous or anything!

They're safe. It's parsnips you have to be careful about.

Please explain.
--
Chris
Old 17-05-2004, 09:26 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Sun, 16 May 2004 20:29:08 +0100, Chris wrote:

In article , Rodger Whitlock
writes
On Sat, 15 May 2004 08:22:00 +0100, Chris wrote:

Are leeks still OK to eat?
There are just a few left - and they are going to seed.
They have a solid bit in the middle - but they taste all right - I've
been eating them raw, thinly sliced, in salads.
Just thought I'd better check they're not poisonous or anything!

They're safe. It's parsnips you have to be careful about.

Please explain.

Parsnips develop some kind of stomach-disagreeable chemical as
they start to shoot out new growth in the spring. Onions is, as
they say, onions and edible in all their parts and at all times,
young or old. Surely you've had Chinese dishes with chive flowers
among the ingredients?