GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Lawn Mower Problem (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/61436-lawn-mower-problem.html)

Stuart 16-05-2004 02:07 PM

Lawn Mower Problem

Briggs & Stratton petrol engine.

The engine works fine for various lengths of time (up to 30mins) and then
suddenly dies out. when this happens it sucks its own plunger in! (the
plunger being the rubber device used to prime the motor before starting) As
soon as the plunger is released the motor will restart! My original thought
was that the air filter was blocked, however removing the filter has made no
differance.

any ideas?

[email protected] 16-05-2004 02:07 PM

Lawn Mower Problem

On Sun, 16 May 2004 13:45:19 +0100, "Stuart" wrote:

Briggs & Stratton petrol engine.

The engine works fine for various lengths of time (up to 30mins) and then
suddenly dies out. when this happens it sucks its own plunger in! (the
plunger being the rubber device used to prime the motor before starting) As
soon as the plunger is released the motor will restart! My original thought
was that the air filter was blocked, however removing the filter has made no
differance.

Blocked hole in petrol filler cap.

AJH

The Natural Philosopher 16-05-2004 05:18 PM

Lawn Mower Problem

wrote:

On Sun, 16 May 2004 13:45:19 +0100, "Stuart" wrote:

Briggs & Stratton petrol engine.

The engine works fine for various lengths of time (up to 30mins) and then
suddenly dies out. when this happens it sucks its own plunger in! (the
plunger being the rubber device used to prime the motor before starting) As
soon as the plunger is released the motor will restart! My original thought
was that the air filter was blocked, however removing the filter has made no
differance.

Blocked hole in petrol filler cap.

Ah yes!

Another good one is soil rammed up the exhaust pipe. Not that it fots
the tsyptoms here of course.

AJH

John 16-05-2004 05:19 PM

Lawn Mower Problem

Stuart wrote:
Briggs & Stratton petrol engine.

sucks its own plunger in!

I went to school with a lad who could actually do that! What a laugh we
used to have in the library at lunch times getting people to bet sarnies,
crisps, fruit etc. that he couldn't do it

John

Dave Liquorice 16-05-2004 06:08 PM

Lawn Mower Problem

On Sun, 16 May 2004 13:47:42 +0100, wrote:

when this happens it sucks its own plunger in! (the

Blocked hole in petrol filler cap.

Or blocked pickup tube, I think I prefer the blocked hole in filler
gap though.

--
Cheers

Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Stuart 16-05-2004 09:11 PM

Lawn Mower Problem

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Sun, 16 May 2004 13:47:42 +0100, wrote:

when this happens it sucks its own plunger in! (the

Blocked hole in petrol filler cap.

Or blocked pickup tube, I think I prefer the blocked hole in filler
gap though.

Filler cap is fine....I will check pick up tube!

John 16-05-2004 10:18 PM

Lawn Mower Problem

Scott Mills wrote:
"John" wrote in message
Stuart wrote:
Briggs & Stratton petrol engine.

sucks its own plunger in!

I went to school with a lad who could actually do that! What a
laugh we used to have in the library at lunch times getting people
to bet sarnies, crisps, fruit etc. that he couldn't do it.

Was he fat?

No, if he was his belly would have got in the way! He had a nice earner
going on tho' with all the tucker he sold on.