Old 17-05-2004, 09:26 PM
Chris

Default Chrysalis or pupae?

Every now and then when hoeing I find one of these things and wondered what
they are, friend or foe? its about an inch long, 1/4 inch in dia, cone
shaped and red in colour.

Old 18-05-2004, 10:18 AM
Tim Challenger

On Mon, 17 May 2004 20:26:52 +0100, Chris wrote:

Every now and then when hoeing I find one of these things and wondered what
they are, friend or foe? its about an inch long, 1/4 inch in dia, cone
shaped and red in colour.

Could be anything without a good photo - even then it's very difficult.
Most probably a moth of some sort. That size it could be a hummingbird
moth. But it could be anything.

Put it in a jam jar with some earth and a loose-fitting lid or gauze over
the top and keep it out of direct sunlight. Wait a week or two, check it
every day and see what emerges.

--
Tim C.
Old 19-05-2004, 05:13 PM
Neil Jones

Tim Challenger "timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at" wrote in message ws.com...
On Mon, 17 May 2004 20:26:52 +0100, Chris wrote:

Every now and then when hoeing I find one of these things and wondered what
they are, friend or foe? its about an inch long, 1/4 inch in dia, cone
shaped and red in colour.

Could be anything without a good photo - even then it's very difficult.
Most probably a moth of some sort. That size it could be a hummingbird
moth. But it could be anything.

Put it in a jam jar with some earth and a loose-fitting lid or gauze over
the top and keep it out of direct sunlight. Wait a week or two, check it
every day and see what emerges.

Having collected pupae like this in the past (The singular is Pupa
BTW) I have found that they turn out to be a variety of things but
most often they are Noctua pronuba the Large Yellow Underwing.

--
Neil Jones- http://www.butterflyguy.com/
butterflies?" Andrew Lees - The quotation on his memorial at Crymlyn