GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   can you just grow one tomato plant (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/61622-can-you-just-grow-one-tomato-plant.html)

cheryl buxton 18-05-2004 01:08 PM

can you just grow one tomato plant

Can you just grow one tomato plant or do you need 2 for cross pollination.

cheers in advance
cheryl

shazzbat 18-05-2004 01:10 PM

can you just grow one tomato plant

"cheryl buxton" wrote in message
m...
Can you just grow one tomato plant or do you need 2 for cross pollination.

cheers in advance
cheryl

1 is good.
2 is better. More tomatoes ;-))

Steve

Gary Woods 18-05-2004 02:30 PM

(cheryl buxton) wrote:

Can you just grow one tomato plant or do you need 2 for cross pollination.

Tomato blossoms usually pollinate themselves before they even open, which
is good for seed savers, though some can cross.
So one plant is enough, though more is better!

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at
www.albany.net/~gwoods

Emrys Davies 18-05-2004 02:32 PM

can you just grow one tomato plant

'Cheryl',

Yes, one plant will suffice. Pollinate by splitting the end of a small
thin cane, insert small ball of cotton wool in the split, fluff it up a
little, and use it to gently transfer pollen from one flowering truss to
another. It is being effective when you see that the wool is tinted
yellow.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Tumbleweed 18-05-2004 06:25 PM

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"cheryl buxton" wrote in message
m...
Can you just grow one tomato plant or do you need 2 for cross

pollination.

cheers in advance
cheryl

1 is good.
2 is better. More tomatoes ;-))

Steve

And 10 is worse. Too many tomatoes :-)
--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks for email address

dave @ stejonda 18-05-2004 07:28 PM

can you just grow one tomato plant

In message , Tumbleweed
writes
"shazzbat" wrote in message
"cheryl buxton" wrote in message
m...
Can you just grow one tomato plant or do you need 2 for cross

pollination.

1 is good.
2 is better. More tomatoes ;-))

And 10 is worse. Too many tomatoes :-)

How do I stop most of the tomatoes ripening in the two weeks I'm away in
the summer?

--
dave @ stejonda

"To materialist eyes, India is a developing country;
to spiritual eyes, the United States is a developing country."
Ram Dass (an optimist)

cheryl buxton 18-05-2004 09:09 PM

can you just grow one tomato plant

thanks for all the replies
cheryl

Steve Harris 19-05-2004 04:10 PM

can you just grow one tomato plant

In article , ()
wrote:

How do I stop most of the tomatoes ripening in the two weeks I'm away
in the summer?

Curious, my Gardeners Delight cropped for about 2 months last summer. I
also grew Red Alert, a "determinate" or "bush" type that was all over in
a couple of weeks.

A useful bit of gardening software at
http://www.netservs.com/garden/