Old 18-05-2004, 07:26 PM
[H]omer

Default It's dead Jim :(

The Pin Oak, that my late father grew from an acorn, looks dead, AFAICT.

He had it in a very big clay pot, which was also filed with various bulbs
such as Daffs. They flourished ... the tree died. It was about 4ft high.

First I want to be sure. What is a 100% method of telling if a tree really
is dead, or if it's just sick or dormant?

I pruned off a thick lower branch, and there was no sap at all; it was
completely dry.

I picked up the pot, which simply crumbled away in my hands, so I smashed
the pot and removed the tree. Looking at the roots, they were not very
extensive, but looked OK to me. There was no evidence of grubs, and other
than the lichen, no disease either AFAICT. I then replanted the tree in a
mix of compost and bonemeal, straight into a deep hole about 4'x4' in the
middle of our front lawn; ever hopeful, and gave it a good drink.

There's been no leaves for two years, and it's covered in green
fungus/lichen. When I cut off the branch and examined it, there were lots
of little mites of some kind, that looked like tiny flies. To cap it all,
there was a big cobweb round the top ... like it was trying to tell me
something. It seems obvious to me that it's dead, but could I be wrong?

If it is dead, I want to replace it with another Pin Oak which,
ironically, I hear thrives in the type of soil we have round here (sandy,
clay). This time I want to be sure I don't kill it off, although the main
reason for the other one dying was probably just neglect. It probably died
of dehydration, since I never watered it (figuring it's OK if it's
outdoors - doh!). I've only recently taken an interest in gardening.

Any links to web resources or ye old fashioned books on the subject of
tree care (with any specifics for Oaks), appreciated.

TIA,

-
[H]omer
Old 18-05-2004, 09:11 PM
Pam Moore

On Tue, 18 May 2004 18:51:44 +0100, "[H]omer" wrote:

The Pin Oak, that my late father grew from an acorn, looks dead, AFAICT.

It's a sad tale, but we have all probably made a big mistake early on,
and learned a valuable lesson.
Good luck with the next one, which will get TLC I'm sure!

Pam in Bristol
Old 18-05-2004, 11:04 PM
[H]omer

On Tue, 18 May 2004 20:38:06 +0100, Pam Moore wrote:

On Tue, 18 May 2004 18:51:44 +0100, "[H]omer" wrote:

The Pin Oak, that my late father grew from an acorn, looks dead, AFAICT.

It's a sad tale, but we have all probably made a big mistake early on,
and learned a valuable lesson.
Good luck with the next one, which will get TLC I'm sure!

Indeed.

Although I'm cursed when it comes to trees.

I've kill 3 bonsai, and counting.

-
[H]omer
Old 19-05-2004, 12:27 AM
Kay Easton

In article , [H]omer
writes
On Tue, 18 May 2004 20:38:06 +0100, Pam Moore wrote:

On Tue, 18 May 2004 18:51:44 +0100, "[H]omer" wrote:

The Pin Oak, that my late father grew from an acorn, looks dead, AFAICT.

It's a sad tale, but we have all probably made a big mistake early on,
and learned a valuable lesson.
Good luck with the next one, which will get TLC I'm sure!

Indeed.

Although I'm cursed when it comes to trees.

I've kill 3 bonsai, and counting.

Oh, you're not even trying!
Bonsai are dead easy to kill. Not enough water reservoir - you only have
to turn your back on them for a few minutes and they've shrivelled to a
crisp.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 19-05-2004, 01:10 PM
Frogleg

On Tue, 18 May 2004 18:51:44 +0100, "[H]omer" wrote:

If it is dead,

Why am I thinking of the Dead Parrot sketch? :-)

the main
reason for the other one dying was probably just neglect. It probably died
of dehydration, since I never watered it (figuring it's OK if it's
outdoors - doh!). I've only recently taken an interest in gardening.

Things in pots dry out much more quickly than things in the ground,
for obvious reasons. And of course have access only to rain that falls
on the small area of the soil surface. I don't know much about oak
cultivation ('though we do have pin oak here), but trying to dig up
the squirrels' legacy in the garden reveals a large tough taproot.

Old 20-05-2004, 02:07 AM
David Hill

".......... Bonsai are dead easy to kill. Not enough water reservoir - you
only have to turn your back on them for a few minutes and they've shrivelled
to a crisp. ........"

Hence ...."Dead.....easy"

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 23-05-2004, 09:02 AM
Douglas

"Frogleg" wrote in message
On Tue, 18 May 2004 18:51:44 +0100, "[H]omer" wrote:

If it is dead,

Why am I thinking of the Dead Parrot sketch? :-)

the main
reason for the other one dying was probably just neglect. It probably

died
of dehydration, since I never watered it (figuring it's OK if it's
outdoors - doh!). I've only recently taken an interest in gardening.

Things in pots dry out much more quickly than things in the ground,
for obvious reasons. And of course have access only to rain that falls
on the small area of the soil surface. I don't know much about oak
cultivation ('though we do have pin oak here), but trying to dig up
the squirrels' legacy in the garden reveals a large tough taproot.

*******************************
I have four bonsai trees grown for twenty years from tiny plants in the
local woods, they are now each about a foot high. You have to water bonsai
daily. however, mine get neglected sometimes but not to worry,
I use the Doug method Mk5.
I like the jelly and custard in those clear plastic bowls you get from
Asdas, and I collect the plastic bowls. I drill about five three--sixteenth
holes around the circumference about half an inch from the top rim. I then
three-quarters fill with peat or anything else going up to near the top. I
Don't fill to the very top, because the plants tend to fall over sometimes,
especially in transit.
Every small pot I've got has its plastic bowl 'seat' and I water the plant,
plus the bowl. The holes drilled in the plastic bowls drain the excess water
to a reasonable level. Thus, all my small-pot plants survive very well.
I only fertilise the pot, but nemmind , eh!, it does no harm if it seeps
down. The principle is quite simple, - the bowl acts as a handy plant stand
and the plant has its own private reservoir. According to circumstances I
sometimes just water the bowl.
Doug.