GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Sweet Corn (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/61720-sweet-corn.html)

Joanne 19-05-2004 04:10 PM

Sweet Corn

I wanted to grown sweet corn again this year, but I can't find any at my
local garden centres. So, is it too late to sow sweet corn seeds now and
expect a harvest this year? I'm in the Bolton area.

Thanks.

Bob Hobden 19-05-2004 05:14 PM

Sweet Corn

"Joanne" wrote in message
I wanted to grown sweet corn again this year, but I can't find any at my
local garden centres. So, is it too late to sow sweet corn seeds now and
expect a harvest this year? I'm in the Bolton area.

I would think that with something like Xtra Sweet Improved you would still
be able to get a crop if planted right now. A bit of bottom heat will get
them germinating quickly.

--
Regards
Bob

Some photos of my plants at.....

Jeannie 21-05-2004 12:04 PM

Sweet Corn

"Joanne" wrote in message
I wanted to grown sweet corn again this year, but I can't find any at my
local garden centres. So, is it too late to sow sweet corn seeds now and
expect a harvest this year? I'm in the Bolton area.

Thanks.

I am growing sweetcorn for the first time this year from seed. The seeds
germinated really quickly and I had planting out sized plants in about 2-3
weeks which I planted out last weekend so I think you'll be OK if you start
from seed now :-).

Unfortunately, I forgot to mark the part of the plot I planted them on and I
ended up pulling some of the plants up cos I thought it was grass. Doh!!

Jeannie