GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Sick Garlic (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/61788-sick-garlic.html)

Julie 20-05-2004 03:07 PM

Sick Garlic

Hi All,
First time growing Garlic. mine were looking well for a while now they
are yellowing and starting to die off at the tips. As you can see from
the photos( Sorry about the quality) they are a sorry lot. They were
planted in March and the soil is mostly clay BUT I have added loads of
compost and it is easily worked. I added in bone meal and watered when
it seemed to need it. However beyond that I don't know what sort of
fertilizers they need.

I pulled one of the poorer plants and peeled off the old rotten clove
to show a small bulb like an onion. I am in no rush for garlic I am
just growing it for the first time to see if I could. Any advice would
be great (even if it is to scrap them all and start again in the fall
:-) ).

Here is the link.

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/Albu...&a=31247712&f=

Cheers
Julie

Dwayne 21-05-2004 05:08 AM

Sick Garlic

I don't know what your problem is, but I would check for too much water or
too little water, and I think they will do better in full sun. As garlic
ripens, the tips will get brown. Maybe yours is just having a natural
reaction.

I harvest mine when about 1/2 of the plant is brown, I then cure it by
letting it set outside in a hot, shaded area for 7 to 10 days. Then I
break some apart, and replant the largest cloves. This takes place around
the end of July or first of August. By the next summer they usually have
done very well. If they have not divided into cloves when I dig them, I
just replant them until another year has passed.

Dwayne

om...

Victoria Clare 21-05-2004 04:33 PM

Sick Garlic

(Julie) wrote in
om:

First time growing Garlic. mine were looking well for a while now they
are yellowing and starting to die off at the tips. As you can see from
the photos( Sorry about the quality) they are a sorry lot.

Maybe my standards are just low, but these don't look too bad to me. March
is quite late to have planted them, and you'd expect to be harvesting them
in the summer, so it may be that they just didn't have as long as they
expected to fill out?

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall

Pam Moore 21-05-2004 07:12 PM

Sick Garlic

On 20 May 2004 05:21:56 -0700, (Julie) wrote:

First time growing Garlic. mine were looking well for a while now they
are yellowing and starting to die off at the tips. As you can see from
the photos( Sorry about the quality) they are a sorry lot. They were
planted in March and the soil is mostly clay BUT I have added loads of
compost and it is easily worked. I added in bone meal and watered when
it seemed to need it. However beyond that I don't know what sort of
fertilizers they need.

They look OK. Mine are starting to die down now. I expect to harvest
in June, but if you leave it too late, the tops die off and you may
leave some behind! A tip: dig not pull, or you may leave the bulb
behind!
If you planted in March you may not get very big bulbs. Planting in
October is advised. However I like Dwayne's advice and will try some
of his ideas later on.

Pam in Bristol