Old 20-05-2004, 03:07 PM
Julie

Default Sick Garlic

Hi All,
First time growing Garlic. mine were looking well for a while now they
are yellowing and starting to die off at the tips. As you can see from
the photos( Sorry about the quality) they are a sorry lot. They were
planted in March and the soil is mostly clay BUT I have added loads of
compost and it is easily worked. I added in bone meal and watered when
it seemed to need it. However beyond that I don't know what sort of
fertilizers they need.

I pulled one of the poorer plants and peeled off the old rotten clove
to show a small bulb like an onion. I am in no rush for garlic I am
just growing it for the first time to see if I could. Any advice would
be great (even if it is to scrap them all and start again in the fall
:-) ).

Here is the link.

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/Albu...&a=31247712&f=

Cheers
Julie
Old 21-05-2004, 05:08 AM
Dwayne

I don't know what your problem is, but I would check for too much water or
too little water, and I think they will do better in full sun. As garlic
ripens, the tips will get brown. Maybe yours is just having a natural
reaction.

I harvest mine when about 1/2 of the plant is brown, I then cure it by
letting it set outside in a hot, shaded area for 7 to 10 days. Then I
break some apart, and replant the largest cloves. This takes place around
the end of July or first of August. By the next summer they usually have
done very well. If they have not divided into cloves when I dig them, I
just replant them until another year has passed.

Dwayne

om...

Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
I'm sick of.....peas! What are you sick of? rachael simpson Edible Gardening 28 14-08-2007 08:10 PM
I'm sick of.....peas! What are you sick of? rachael simpson Gardening 25 05-08-2007 07:19 PM
I'm sick of.....peas! What are you sick of? Glenna Rose Edible Gardening 0 31-07-2007 08:36 PM
Sick Red eared Slider Rhino Ponds 2 08-04-2003 07:56 PM