Old 23-05-2004, 08:16 AM
LOZ34

Default Garden incinerator

Hi

bought myself a garden incinerator to rid myself of a pile of twigs from
various leylandi type trees and bushes whets the best way to load it and get
it going?

thanks in advance

Loz35

Old 23-05-2004, 08:26 AM
Dogger

On Sat, 22 May 2004 18:47:15 +0100, "LOZ34"
wrote:

Hi

bought myself a garden incinerator to rid myself of a pile of twigs from
various leylandi type trees and bushes whets the best way to load it and get
it going?

thanks in advance

Loz35

If is the round dustbin type first find 3 bricks and wedge them under
the bottom between the three metal legs, Cos they aint that stable.
then scrunch up a few pages of newspaper add some of the twigs a
branches, light a match and stand well back. They burn very well. Make
sure ther is nothing above it cos all the heat goes straingt up.

I never put the lid on mine cos I put it on once and it was instantly
too hot to get off. It would be better to put it on the drive or
patio, if you must put it on a lawn put it on a piece of ply to
protect the grass.

Oh and Wait..........Wait for it to COOL befor you try to empt it. It
will stay hot for about 10 hours.

I burned the cutings from 12 leylandi that we had the top 10ft chopped
off when we moved in, in two days. The bloke wanted extra £100 to chip
disose of it. £10 for the bin and I had a lovely pile of ash for the
allotment.

Once they get hot they have a ramjet effect. The hotter its gets the
more air it sucks in at the bottom, the more air it sucks in the
hotter it gets. Once the Ash builds up in the bottom you will need a
stick to prod in the air holes to keep them open.

Have fun.

Dogger

Old 23-05-2004, 09:08 PM
LOZ34

wrote:

[...]

thanks dogger.

it works a treat, hope the neighbours agree lol.

Loz35

Old 23-05-2004, 11:14 PM
Franz Heymann

wrote:

[...]

It all sounds like good clean fun. But how do you stop them from
turning into rust in one season?

Franz