Old 23-05-2004, 03:06 PM
John Horne

Default Fungus on trees?

Forgive me if this is a recurring question, or indeed a very obvious one. I
have a few small trees which I am growing on in large pots prior to planting
out. On several I have noticed a white sticky substance underneath the leaves.

Is this a fungus or is it a residue from some hideous insect? More importantly
how do I cure it? (The infected trees do not look in the best of health, ie
drooping leaves etc)

Any help would be greatly appreciated

John
Old 23-05-2004, 06:07 PM
Bob Hobden

"John Horne" wrote in message ...
Forgive me if this is a recurring question, or indeed a very obvious one.

have a few small trees which I am growing on in large pots prior to

planting
out. On several I have noticed a white sticky substance underneath the

leaves.

Is this a fungus or is it a residue from some hideous insect? More

importantly
how do I cure it? (The infected trees do not look in the best of health,

ie
drooping leaves etc)

Any help would be greatly appreciated

John, I expect that it is Scale Insect and the "fungus" is it in it's
breeding state when the old scale dies after releasing it's youngsters. You
should be able to see the old brown scale on top of the "fungus".
Of course I may be wrong. :-)
If I'm not then blast them off with a high pressure water jet from your
sprayer (keep it pumped up to max), do every leaf, top and bottom, and all
round every stem. You may have to repeat the process in a couple of weeks to
get the ones you missed.

--
Regards
Bob