GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Mediterranean hibiscus? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/62725-mediterranean-hibiscus.html)

Sacha 30-05-2004 07:10 PM

Mediterranean hibiscus?

Anyone know what this is?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds after garden to email me)

Bob Hobden 31-05-2004 12:04 AM

Mediterranean hibiscus?

"Sacha" wrote in message

Anyone know what this is?
--

Well the normal one growing all around the Med is Hibiscus rosa-sinensis but
nothing I can find about a specific Mediterranean one.

--
Regards
Bob

Some photos of my plants at.....

Sacha 31-05-2004 12:06 AM

Mediterranean hibiscus?

On 30/5/04 11:31 pm, in article , "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message

Anyone know what this is?
--

Well the normal one growing all around the Med is Hibiscus rosa-sinensis but
nothing I can find about a specific Mediterranean one.
However there is a Mediterranean Mallow, Malva cretica.

That's my bet - that it's a mallow. The way the customer described the
leaves made me think of that. Thanks, Bob. BTW, couldn't find the Hyams
rose on the Austin site so I've emailed them. I hope it turns up!

--

Sacha
(remove the weeds after garden to email me)

Brian 31-05-2004 01:06 AM

Mediterranean hibiscus?

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message

Anyone know what this is?
--

Well the normal one growing all around the Med is Hibiscus rosa-sinensis

but
nothing I can find about a specific Mediterranean one.
However there is a Mediterranean Mallow, Malva cretica.

--
Regards
Bob

Some photos of my plants at.....

"Seen in the Mediterranean" I would agree H. rosa-sinensis. [ US Rose of

Sharon!]
"Originating in that region"~~H. syriacus but I doubt if that was the

intended.
Regards Brian.

Kay Easton 31-05-2004 11:36 AM

Mediterranean hibiscus?

In article , Sacha
writes
On 30/5/04 11:31 pm, in article , "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message

Anyone know what this is?
--

Well the normal one growing all around the Med is Hibiscus rosa-sinensis but
nothing I can find about a specific Mediterranean one.
However there is a Mediterranean Mallow, Malva cretica.

That's my bet - that it's a mallow.

Mallow and hibiscus are closely related - both in the malvaceae. The 5
petals are in perfect spiral symmetry, ie each petal is beneath one
neighbour and above the other. I don't know any other families of
5-petalled flowers with overlapping petals that show this - most have
one petal which is above both of its neighbours. It's a useful tip for
getting the identification as far as family level.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Sacha 31-05-2004 11:42 AM

Mediterranean hibiscus?

On 31/5/04 10:55 am, in article , "Kay
Easton" wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes
On 30/5/04 11:31 pm, in article
, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message

Anyone know what this is?
--

Well the normal one growing all around the Med is Hibiscus rosa-sinensis but
nothing I can find about a specific Mediterranean one.
However there is a Mediterranean Mallow, Malva cretica.

That's my bet - that it's a mallow.

Mallow and hibiscus are closely related - both in the malvaceae. The 5
petals are in perfect spiral symmetry, ie each petal is beneath one
neighbour and above the other. I don't know any other families of
5-petalled flowers with overlapping petals that show this - most have
one petal which is above both of its neighbours. It's a useful tip for
getting the identification as far as family level.

Thanks, Kay and others. We'll ask the customer if this is what she's
thinking of!