Old 31-05-2004, 11:24 AM
John Edgar

Default WE KILLED COCK ROBIN AND WE'RE NOT SORRY ... BOYCOTT Wyevale Garden Centre's

On Sat, 29 May 2004 13:05:30 +0100, Derek Moody
wrote:

WE KILLED COCK ROBIN AND WE'RE NOT SORRY ... Wyevale Garden Centre
http://tinyurl.com/3ypk2

09:30 - 24 May 2004
Everybody now knows it wasn't Sparrow with his Little Bow and Arrow
who killed Cock Robin. But yesterday bosses of West garden chain
Wyevale were still refusing to explain to a horrified public why they
brought in a hit man to do the job.

This weekend the garden centre at Thornbury in South Gloucestershire
became the focus of a national furore after it emerged that bosses had
killed a family of robins nesting under their roof.

But despite demands for explanations from animal welfare groups and
angry customers threatening to boycott their centres, bosses at the
Herefordshire-based chain refused to sing like canaries.

Yesterday senior staff at the Thornbury Garden centre repeatedly
refused to comment on or apologise for the bird cull and would only
say the Herefordshire head office would probably issue a statement
today.

The continued silence was an amazing response to the growing row which
has led to the garden centre chain being condemned by the Royal
Society for the Protection of Birds and the Royal Society for the
Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

The flap has reached as far as Defra where bosses have ordered an
investigation into why their staff gave a licence for the
controversial cull to stop the birds flying into the 200 seater cafe.

According to the 1981 Wildlife and Countryside Act, Britain's national
bird "can only be killed in exceptional circumstances, where they pose
a risk to public health, livestock or other wild birds."

Over the past four years Defra has only issued licences to kill 19
birds and the RSPB have described last week's cull of up to six as
"heavy handed".

RSPCA spokesperson Ann Grain condemned the killings as "horrific" and
said: "The manager said the licence had been granted because the
robins were flying into the restaurant and were therefore a health and
safety hazard.

"But when our inspector talked to other members of staff he discovered
the robins were triggering a new intruder alarm and the manager got
sick of being woken up in the night to reset it.

"The garden centre has not broken the law because Defra gave them a
licence, but we do not feel every alternative was explored.

"Robins have nested in the centre for years and there has never been a
problem before. The tragedy is that these birds were about to fly the
nest anyway and would have been gone in a couple of weeks.

"It is surprising to say the least that a garden centre which sells
bird boxes, tables and seed would carry this out without first looking
at alternatives." Yesterday staff claimed John Jones, the manager at
the centre of the row, was not in work to see the response of
customers who once enjoyed watching the robins pecking crumbs off the
floor.

Angry housewife Jane Fisher, 35, a mother-of-three, said: "I come here
at the weekends - I shop for plants and my children love to look at
the birds.

"They love seeing the robins fly about. Birds and garden centres go
hand in hand. Half the people there are buying plants and hardware to
attract birds to their own gardens. This just seems crazy.

"My kids will be devastated to hear they've gone. It's a scandal. How
can they have the gall to sell bird tables. Talk about hypocrisy. I
don't think I can ever go back there again. I think a lot of customers
will feel the same way."

A Defra spokesman said: "A licence was granted because the robins were
entering the restaurant which obviously proved a risk to human health.

"It was our understanding that the centre tried putting up protective
netting but this was not practical because the robins got into the
restaurant through an air vent.

"'They also set off a burglar alarm and the centre was apparently told
by the police that they would not respond to calls from the centre in
the future."

Cheerio.
.

What a load of crap!

************************************************* ************************************
Yes, madam, I am drunk. But in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.
- Sir Winston Churchill

The Eagle Has Landed.

/T /I
/ |/ | .-~/
T\ Y I |/ / _
/T | \I | I Y.-~/
I l /I T\ | | l | T /
T\ | \ Y l /T | \I l \ ` l Y
__ | \l \l \I l __l l \ ` _. |
\ ~-l `\ `\ \ \\ ~\ \ `. .-~ |
\ ~-. "-. ` \ ^._ ^. "-. / \ |
.--~-._ ~- ` _ ~-_.-"-." ._ /._ ." ./
--. ~-. ._ ~-" "\\ 7 7 ]

^.___~"--._ ~-{ .-~ . `\ Y . / |
__ ~"-. ~ /_/ \ \I Y : |
^-.__ ~(_/ \ ._: | l______
^--.,___.-~" /_/ ! `-.~"--l_ / ~"-.
(_/ . ~( /' "~"--,Y -=b-. _)
(_/ . \ : / l c"~o \
\ / `. . .^ \_.-~"~--. )
(_/ . ` / / ! )/
/ / _. '. .': / '
~(_/ . / _ ` .-_
/_/ . ' .-~" `. / \ \ ,z=.
~( / ' : | K "-.~-.______//
"-,. l I/ \_ __{---._(==.
//( \ ~"~" //
/' /\ \ \ ,v=. ((
.^. / /\ " }__ //===- ` Roy!/ASC
/ / ' ' "-.,__ {---(==-
.^ ' : T ~" ll
/ . . . : | :! \\
(_/ / | | j-" ~^

So, you dont like reasoned,
well thought out, civil debate?

I understand.

/´¯/)
/¯../
/..../
/´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
/'/.../..../......./¨¯\
('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
\.................'...../
''...\.......... _.·´

GOOD SIGS wanted. APPLY WITHIN.

Please Note: I am not the forger-troll Derek Moody who posts with

and who continues to stalk me, ensuring he is at the top of my hit list
and who also published child porn websites and kinky sex outlets in the UK, not to mention deviant holidays.

You've not heard of the Geneva Convention, then?

Our enemies sure haven't.

John
In limine sapientiae