GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Abelia scent (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/62837-abelia-scent.html)

Glen Able 01-06-2004 09:03 AM

Abelia scent

Hello, and cheerful rainy Monday morning greetings to all.

Here's an odd one for you.

Just bought myself an Abelia triflora at the weekend because I like the
shape and the SO loves the scent.

The thing is this. I find the scent really nauseating - it seems to have a
warm, vomitty sort of note to it. I do love all the usual smelly
favourites; jasmine, honeysuckle, night scented stocks etc. etc. but this
one really makes me sick.

So does anyone else find this or I am on my own (again :) ?

ga

Brian 01-06-2004 08:14 PM

Abelia scent

"Glen Able" wrote in message
Hello, and cheerful rainy Monday morning greetings to all.

Here's an odd one for you.

Just bought myself an Abelia triflora at the weekend because I like the
shape and the SO loves the scent.

The thing is this. I find the scent really nauseating - it seems to have

warm, vomitty sort of note to it. I do love all the usual smelly
favourites; jasmine, honeysuckle, night scented stocks etc. etc. but this
one really makes me sick.

So does anyone else find this or I am on my own (again :) ?

ga

It is not unusual to have a differing perception of scent. Genetics is
involved and it is known that different people love or hate some perfumes.
There are very many people who find Freesias totally scentless whereas
others can detect a single bloom in the house. A recessive
characteristic.[no scent]
A. triflora is supposed to be 'sweetly scented'~~but, as you have found,
not to everyone.
Best Wishes Brian.