Old 09-06-2004, 06:38 PM
Pat Jordan

Default Hardy English Priimroses

Can anyone tell me how/when to harvest seeds from my primroses? I left the
flowers on so they could go to seed, and now I have several large green
pods. Do I wait until they turn brown before harvesting? Do I have to put
them in the refrigerator to give them a short "winter" before planting?

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Old 09-06-2004, 06:41 PM
Kay

In article , Pat Jordan
writes
Can anyone tell me how/when to harvest seeds from my primroses? I left the
flowers on so they could go to seed, and now I have several large green
pods. Do I wait until they turn brown before harvesting? Do I have to put
them in the refrigerator to give them a short "winter" before planting?

Wait till the seed pods turn brown, but keep a close eye on them as the
plant will want to shed them by itself.

Sow them as soon as you've harvested them, give them a few weeks at
normal temperatures, then if they haven't germinated, a month in the
fridge. Or - more naturally, sow them, keep the seed tray moist, but
keep it outside all the winter, and they'll germinate in spring if they
haven't before.

The seedlings are sensitive to drying out - whereas a grown up primrose
will recover from leaves going floppy, a seedling won't. So keep them
moist, but definitely not wet.
--
Kay

Old 09-06-2004, 06:59 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , Pat Jordan
writes
Can anyone tell me how/when to harvest seeds from my primroses? I left the
flowers on so they could go to seed, and now I have several large green
pods. Do I wait until they turn brown before harvesting? Do I have to put
them in the refrigerator to give them a short "winter" before planting?

I just let mine drop their seeds and then harvest the seedlings when
they appear round the parent next year.
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.