Old 10-06-2004, 02:11 PM
cross

Default Plant ID

If anyone can ID this plant I will be very pleased.

Today I visited a garden on NGS, and bought a plant which had no name and I
have no idea what it is.

Sorry, no picture, but; it is a hardy shrub (has stood several winters in
the garden)
the leaves are quite small, rounded
and covered in silvery hair
it has white pea-like flowers,
none at the moment so probably later in summer
grows to about 2ft, and is
clipped back after flowering

but the most unusual feature, is that the leaves are incredibly soft to
touch, and the stems are very pliable too.

I forget whether it is evergreen or not, but would think probably not.

The gardener who sold it has been meaning to look it up for years ;-)

Thanks,
Marina.

Old 10-06-2004, 02:12 PM
Dave Poole

wrote:

If anyone can ID this plant I will be very pleased:

the leaves are quite small, rounded
and covered in silvery hair
it has white pea-like flowers,
none at the moment so probably later in summer
grows to about 2ft, and is
clipped back after flowering
but the most unusual feature, is that the leaves are incredibly soft to
touch, and the stems are very pliable too.
I forget whether it is evergreen or not, but would think probably not.

Almost certainly this is Lotus hirsuta formerly known as Dorycnium
hirsutum. It is a low growing, deciduous sub-shrub to 60cms high
bearing terminal clusters of papery white, pea-like flowers, which are
followed by rather showy, mahogany coloured seed pods. It revels in a
poor soil in full sun, but as long as there isn't to much shade, its a
very tolerant and forgiving plant. Everything about it is right - not
too big, neat style of growth, good foliage that is silvery hairy,
long season of flowering and attractive seed pods.

HTH

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.