Old 12-06-2004, 09:45 AM
Registered User

Default Griselinia Littoralis Help Please

Hi,

I have a couple of these shrubs which in general seem to be in good enough health, but at this time of year many of the leaves go light yellow or brown then fall off. Is this a sign of a problem?
Any replies appreciated,

thank you
Old 13-06-2004, 12:09 PM
Geoff Bryant

Provided the leaf drop is not excessive it's normal. Griselinia leaves turn
yellow before the fall and can hang on at that stage for some time.
Incidentally, you may find it hard to imagine if you look at your plant, but
in the wild they often start life as epiphytes. Branch forks in the papery
bark of the tree fuchsia (Fuchsia excorticata) are popular sites for
germination.

Geoff Bryant
Christchurch
New Zealand
www.hortiphoto.com

"Bounty" wrote in message
s.com...
Hi,

I have a couple of these shrubs. The ground they are on is covered with
weed control fabric and small stones. They have grown to about 7 feet
in about 5 years, in general they appear in good enough health but at
this time of year a lot of the leaves turn yellow and fall off, is this
normal and nothing to worry about or is it a sign that something is not
right. Any replies appreciated.

Thank you
--
Bounty

Old 13-06-2004, 08:10 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Geoff Bryant" contains these words:

Provided the leaf drop is not excessive it's normal. Griselinia leaves turn
yellow before the fall and can hang on at that stage for some time.

In the UK, griselinia only survives in mild coastal areas, where it's
evergreen. In the UK, it's not normal for it to turn yellow in June.

Are you saying it's deciduous when it's at home in NZ?

Incidentally, you may find it hard to imagine if you look at your plant, but
in the wild they often start life as epiphytes. Branch forks in the papery
bark of the tree fuchsia (Fuchsia excorticata) are popular sites for
germination.

Here (Isle of Arran, off west coast of Scotland) it often germinates
in the forks of trees, tops of old stumps etc, and I've seen it colonise
rock faces after seeding into the only other inhabitant, moss.

In the places where it grows on this island, it's a pernicious weed. At
Brodick Castle gardens we pull out millions every year, scarcely making
any impression :-(. But if it's in a situation where you can control it
by brute force (like my own garden), it makes a wonderful hedge.

Janet.

Old 13-06-2004, 10:03 PM
Geoff Bryant

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Geoff Bryant" contains these words:

Provided the leaf drop is not excessive it's normal. Griselinia leaves

turn
yellow before the fall and can hang on at that stage for some time.

In the UK, griselinia only survives in mild coastal areas, where it's
evergreen. In the UK, it's not normal for it to turn yellow in June.

Are you saying it's deciduous when it's at home in NZ?

No, it's not deciduous but always carries some yellow leaves that are at the
point of dropping.

Geoff Bryant
www.hortiphoto.com

Old 23-06-2004, 12:18 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Bryant
"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Geoff Bryant" contains these words:

Provided the leaf drop is not excessive it's normal. Griselinia leaves

turn
yellow before the fall and can hang on at that stage for some time.

In the UK, griselinia only survives in mild coastal areas, where it's
evergreen. In the UK, it's not normal for it to turn yellow in June.

Are you saying it's deciduous when it's at home in NZ?

No, it's not deciduous but always carries some yellow leaves that are at the
point of dropping.

Geoff Bryant
www.hortiphoto.com

Thanks for your replies,

I am in the north east coast of Scotland. The shrubs are evergreen all year, yet seem to loose leafs only really in spring / summer. I will just keep an eye on them. As a percentage only a small number of leaves are lost and the other leaves look nice apple green and healthy, I can see no pests on the plant although a large tree nearby has got lots of greenfly.

Old 26-06-2004, 11:55 AM
Rod

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 22:58:25 GMT, Bounty
wrote:

Thanks for your replies,

I am in the north east coast of Scotland. The shrubs are evergreen all
year, yet seem to loose leafs only really in spring / summer. I will
just keep an eye on them. As a percentage only a small number of leaves
are lost and the other leaves look nice apple green and healthy, I can
see no pests on the plant although a large tree nearby has got lots of
greenfly.

From my limited experience of Griselinia, that just sounds like
Griselinia doing what Griselinia does.

Rod