Old 20-06-2004, 09:57 PM
Alan Holmes

Default Who's had my strawberries

"Neale" wrote in message
I have been growing strawberries for the first time - (just a row of six
plants, abour three metres long)

I have just been away for five days - before I went I had loads of unripe
green strawberries, with one or two just showing a hint of red. The entire
row is covered with a ready-made net tunnel (open at each end).

On my return there is not one solitary fruit anywhere to be seen.

We have a similar problem, my strawberry bed is quite well esablished,
in fact it's been a bit neglected and allowed to overgrow, lots of runners
have settled in and I've not bothered to thin them, but my wife has found
a pile of strawberries removed from the plants and carefully stacked in
a heap against the wood planks surrounding the bed.

Can't be birds, cos all they do is to peck at the berries and leave them
attatched to the plant.

Is it mice or some other rodent.

I've set a mouse trap to see what happens, but has ayone ever
experienced anything like this before?

Alan

I am going to buy a gun, but don't know what to shoot. Any advice???

had poor garden Romy Beeck Gardening 4 22-10-2003 09:02 PM
Houston had 12:00 hour of light today J Kolenovsky Texas 1 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Help! Never had a garden Hilary Edible Gardening 5 26-03-2003 10:56 PM
Help! Never had a garden (about apple maggots) Glenna Rose Edible Gardening 2 23-03-2003 05:56 AM
Houston had 12:00 hour of light today J Kolenovsky Texas 1 17-03-2003 11:56 PM