Old 26-06-2004, 01:22 AM
Les &/or Claire

Default Lost my Toms!

Damn!
First garden after 4 years of moving around in flats. 12
beautiful outdoor tomatoes ripped out by the wind. No time to start again
this year...... (

Les ( Bugger! Sometimes little things mean a lot. )

--
http://www.stuffmongers.com

"Homo sapiens, the first truly free species, is about to decommission
natural selection, the force that made us.... Soon we must look deep within
ourselves and decide what we wish to become."
Edward O. Wilson
Consilience, The Unity of Knowledge

Remove frontal lobes to reply from a NG

Old 26-06-2004, 01:22 AM
Sue da Nimm

"Les &/or Claire" wrote in message
Damn!
First garden after 4 years of moving around in flats. 12
beautiful outdoor tomatoes ripped out by the wind. No time to start again
this year...... (

Les ( Bugger! Sometimes little things mean a lot. )

Not too late - stick 'em back in - they will often recover. I even plant
side-shoots removed from cordon-grown gardeners delight and they manage to
root and give a few late fruits.

Old 26-06-2004, 01:26 AM
Ros Butt

Gutted too!

Lost my only courgette, didn't realise it could be affected by wind, being
such a low-lying plant. Is there any point in sowing any more seeds now?
(I live in the south)
Ros

Damn!
First garden after 4 years of moving around in flats. 12
beautiful outdoor tomatoes ripped out by the wind. No time to start again
this year...... (

Les ( Bugger! Sometimes little things mean a lot. )

Damn!
First garden after 4 years of moving around in flats. 12
beautiful outdoor tomatoes ripped out by the wind. No time to start again
this year...... (

Les ( Bugger! Sometimes little things mean a lot. )

Chichester
West Sussex, UK.
Old 26-06-2004, 01:45 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Sue da Nimm" . contains these words:

"Les &/or Claire" wrote in message
Damn!
First garden after 4 years of moving around in flats. 12
beautiful outdoor tomatoes ripped out by the wind. No time to start again
this year...... (

Not too late - stick 'em back in - they will often recover.

You can plant them deeper than before (the stems will quickly root);
give them a good stake and deep watering (preferably with diluted
comfrey tea, manure water, or worm wee).

Janet.
Old 26-06-2004, 02:01 AM
redclay

Janet Baraclough wrote in message
The message
from "Sue da Nimm" . contains these words:
You can plant them deeper than before (the stems will quickly root);
give them a good stake and deep watering (preferably with diluted
comfrey tea, manure water, or worm wee).

Janet. I have heard of the first two but what is "worm wee"? That is a

new one on me.
Another good tonic is just filling a 5 gallon plastic bucket with grass
clippings and water with a couple of drops of detergent to retard mosquitoes
and letting it work for a week. Pour off juice and refill.

Old 26-06-2004, 02:04 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "redclay" contains these words:

Janet Baraclough wrote in message
The message
from "Sue da Nimm" . contains these words:
You can plant them deeper than before (the stems will quickly root);
give them a good stake and deep watering (preferably with diluted
comfrey tea, manure water, or worm wee).

Janet. I have heard of the first two but what is "worm wee"? That is a

new one on me.

It's the copious juice that collects in the bottom of my worm barrel.
I run it off from the tap, store it in 2-litre plastic milk bottles, and
use it diluted as a plant feed and tonic. (Dilution..about 2 cups in 2
gallons).

Janet.