Old 26-06-2004, 01:39 AM
PERSONAL COMPUTERS \(J.C.SAMUEL\)

Default does anybody know what an 'AGRIPPA BAND' is made for ?

Sorry if I have the wrong forum to post this question to UK farmers, or
sheep farmers, but we don't have access here in Belgium (Brussels can't do
everything, as you might well know) to the specialized forum in British
farming, at least I don't know any.

I have found a strange objet, like a flat bottle in transparent glass, with
two necks, one on each side

It's about 20 cm wide and 7 cm high

It bears an inscription on the top, inscribed in the glass

THE AGRIPPA BAND

and, just under this : TEAT
WILL NOT
SLIP OFF

It's gratuated in OUNCES on one side (between 1 to 7)
and in TABLE SPOONS on the other side (between 1 to 15)

For this reason, I suppose it was used in UK
It's obviously old, certainly before WW2, maybe even before 1900

I supposed it could be in relation with milk farming, maybe ewe, not cows
(it's too little for cows)

Does anybody know for what purpose it was made, or any other forum where I
could post this request ?

j.c. samuel
Brussels

PS: please excuse my broken English

Old 26-06-2004, 02:00 AM
bigboard

PERSONAL COMPUTERS (J.C.SAMUEL) wrote:

[...]

Sounds like it might be for feeding orphaned or abandoned lambs. Two
necks would be handy for feeding twins!
Old 26-06-2004, 02:01 AM
Howard Neil

[...]

Try uk.business.agriculture

My guess is that it is for bottle feeding orphan lambs or calves but it
is a little before my time.

--
Howard Neil
Old 26-06-2004, 02:03 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "PERSONAL COMPUTERS \(J.C.SAMUEL\)"
contains these words:

I have found a strange objet, like a flat bottle in transparent glass, with
two necks, one on each side

I supposed it could be in relation with milk farming, maybe ewe, not cows
(it's too little for cows)

Does anybody know for what purpose it was made,

I've seen pictures of those two-ended bottles for feeding a (single)
human baby. The second teat could let in air, avoiding a vacuum as the
baby swallowed milk through the other one. If a vacuum built up, a weak
baby might be unable to suck against it, and a strong one might suck so
hard that the teat fell off, letting all the milk out.

I'm pretty certain it's nothing to do with agriculture; in my
experience even newborn bottlefed lambs take more than 7 ounces at a
single feed.

Janet.