Old 26-06-2004, 02:56 AM
Sue da Nimm

Default Raspberries and Nasturtiums as bedfellows

My dear old Mum always grew nasturtiums around her raspberry canes and
loganberries. She claimed that nasturtiums provided phosphates which made
the raspberries more productive. I've always grown climbing nasturtiums
around my fruit trees because of this - and because they brighten up the
orchard!
I told my neighbour why I did it, expecting to be mocked, but he told me it
used to be common practice to grow complimentary plants with fruit trees and
bushes.
Is he right or is this just an old wives' (mum's) tale?