GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Thyme: should I deflower it? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/67428-thyme-should-i-deflower.html)

Hugh Chaloner 27-06-2004 01:04 PM

Thyme: should I deflower it?

Should I deflower my thyme? Does it matter? Do the flowers affect the
flavour?

Thanks,

Hugh

--
www.magic-hush.com | email on website

Kay 27-06-2004 06:56 PM

Thyme: should I deflower it?

In article , Hugh Chaloner
writes
Should I deflower my thyme?

No.

Does it matter?

no

Do the flowers affect the
flavour?

No, though I'd pick non-flowering bits for use ie, the fact that it's
flowered doesn't affect the flavour of the leaves, and I've never tried
seeing what the flowers taste like.
--
Kay

Bob Hobden 27-06-2004 07:04 PM

Thyme: should I deflower it?

"Hugh Chaloner" wrote
Should I deflower my thyme? Does it matter? Do the flowers affect the
flavour?

No, leave it alone.
--
Regards
Bob

Some photos of my plants at.....

Les &/or Claire 27-06-2004 10:10 PM

Thyme: should I deflower it?

Hugh Chaloner wrote:
Should I deflower my thyme?
Hugh

I'm sure there's a law against this, if not, there should be!

L ;o)

--
http://www.stuffmongers.com

"Homo sapiens, the first truly free species, is about to decommission
natural selection, the force that made us.... Soon we must look deep
within ourselves and decide what we wish to become." Edward O. Wilson
Consilience, The Unity of Knowledge

Remove frontal lobes to reply from a NG

Nick Maclaren 28-06-2004 09:07 AM

Thyme: should I deflower it?

In article ,
"Les &/or Claire" writes:
| Hugh Chaloner wrote:
| Should I deflower my thyme?
|
| I'm sure there's a law against this, if not, there should be!

It depends on its age!

Unlike with humans, not deflowering leads to reproduction, and
(under suitable conditions), there will be thyme seedlings in
the vicinity. Sometimes I remove the seed heads after flowering,
but normally I don't bother. The seedlings are easy to remove.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Derek Turner 28-06-2004 11:09 AM

Thyme: should I deflower it?

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 12:28:07 +0100, (Hugh
Chaloner) wrote:

Should I deflower my thyme?

interestingly (to me anyway) Thyme is used in folk-songs as a symbol
of virginity so from that point of view the question is an oxymoron (I
think!)

Hugh Chaloner 28-06-2004 12:08 PM

Thyme: should I deflower it?

Derek Turner wrote:

Should I deflower my thyme?

interestingly (to me anyway) Thyme is used in folk-songs as a symbol
of virginity so from that point of view the question is an oxymoron (I
think!)

Wow! Coincidental or what?

Frogleg 28-06-2004 01:06 PM

Thyme: should I deflower it?

Chaloner) wrote:

Should I deflower my thyme? Does it matter? Do the flowers affect the
flavour?

No, no, and no. The flowers are edible so tender sprigs with flowers
attached are nice in a salad.