Old 27-06-2004, 01:04 PM
Hugh Chaloner

Default Thyme: should I deflower it?

Should I deflower my thyme? Does it matter? Do the flowers affect the
flavour?

Thanks,

Hugh

--
www.magic-hush.com | email on website

Old 27-06-2004, 06:56 PM
Kay

In article , Hugh Chaloner
writes
Should I deflower my thyme?

No.

Does it matter?

no

Do the flowers affect the
flavour?

No, though I'd pick non-flowering bits for use ie, the fact that it's
flowered doesn't affect the flavour of the leaves, and I've never tried
seeing what the flowers taste like.
--
Kay

Old 27-06-2004, 07:04 PM
Bob Hobden

"Hugh Chaloner" wrote
Should I deflower my thyme? Does it matter? Do the flowers affect the
flavour?

No, leave it alone.
--
Regards
Bob

Some photos of my plants at.....

Old 27-06-2004, 10:10 PM
Les &/or Claire

Hugh Chaloner wrote:
Should I deflower my thyme?
Hugh

I'm sure there's a law against this, if not, there should be!

L ;o)

--
http://www.stuffmongers.com

"Homo sapiens, the first truly free species, is about to decommission
natural selection, the force that made us.... Soon we must look deep
within ourselves and decide what we wish to become." Edward O. Wilson
Consilience, The Unity of Knowledge

Remove frontal lobes to reply from a NG

Old 28-06-2004, 09:07 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Les &/or Claire" writes:
| Hugh Chaloner wrote:
| Should I deflower my thyme?
|
| I'm sure there's a law against this, if not, there should be!

It depends on its age!

Unlike with humans, not deflowering leads to reproduction, and
(under suitable conditions), there will be thyme seedlings in
the vicinity. Sometimes I remove the seed heads after flowering,
but normally I don't bother. The seedlings are easy to remove.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-06-2004, 12:08 PM
Hugh Chaloner

Derek Turner wrote:

Should I deflower my thyme?

interestingly (to me anyway) Thyme is used in folk-songs as a symbol
of virginity so from that point of view the question is an oxymoron (I
think!)

Wow! Coincidental or what?