GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Is it a MOLE ? Is it a VOLE ? No, it's XXX (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/67505-mole-vole-no-its-xxx.html)

Raymond RUSSELL 28-06-2004 12:03 PM

Is it a MOLE ? Is it a VOLE ? No, it's XXX

Hello all

In (what I loosely describe as) the lawn in our orchard
a lot of approx. golf-ball-sized holes have appeared
in little clusters.

There are no mounds of earth;
so I assume these are not being made by moles or voles.
Can anyone suggest what creatures are responsible ?

These creatures don't appear to be damaging the younger trees.
However, they did almost damage me
when one foot of the ladder sank into such a hole
and down I came.

Best regards from Ray

Kay 28-06-2004 01:06 PM

Is it a MOLE ? Is it a VOLE ? No, it's XXX

In article , Raymond RUSSELL
writes
Hello all

In (what I loosely describe as) the lawn in our orchard
a lot of approx. golf-ball-sized holes have appeared
in little clusters.

There are no mounds of earth;
so I assume these are not being made by moles or voles.
Can anyone suggest what creatures are responsible ?

Why not a bank vole?
--
Kay

Chris J Dixon 28-06-2004 09:12 PM

Raymond RUSSELL wrote:

In (what I loosely describe as) the lawn in our orchard
a lot of approx. golf-ball-sized holes have appeared
in little clusters.

There are no mounds of earth;
so I assume these are not being made by moles or voles.
Can anyone suggest what creatures are responsible ?

Squirrels are leaving holes in my lawn of roughly that size,
though not in clusters.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Chris Hogg 30-06-2004 06:15 PM

Is it a MOLE ? Is it a VOLE ? No, it's XXX

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 11:25:33 +0100, "Raymond RUSSELL"
wrote:

Hello all

In (what I loosely describe as) the lawn in our orchard
a lot of approx. golf-ball-sized holes have appeared
in little clusters.

There are no mounds of earth;
so I assume these are not being made by moles or voles.
Can anyone suggest what creatures are responsible ?

These creatures don't appear to be damaging the younger trees.
However, they did almost damage me
when one foot of the ladder sank into such a hole
and down I came.

Best regards from Ray

Badgers scuff our lawn looking for worms etc, leaving shallow
irregular holes and untidy divots, rather like the beginners' range on
a golf course.

--
Chris