Old 28-06-2004, 12:03 PM
Raymond RUSSELL

Default Is it a MOLE ? Is it a VOLE ? No, it's XXX

Hello all

In (what I loosely describe as) the lawn in our orchard
a lot of approx. golf-ball-sized holes have appeared
in little clusters.

There are no mounds of earth;
so I assume these are not being made by moles or voles.
Can anyone suggest what creatures are responsible ?

These creatures don't appear to be damaging the younger trees.
However, they did almost damage me
when one foot of the ladder sank into such a hole
and down I came.

Best regards from Ray

Old 28-06-2004, 01:06 PM
Kay

In article , Raymond RUSSELL
writes
Hello all

In (what I loosely describe as) the lawn in our orchard
a lot of approx. golf-ball-sized holes have appeared
in little clusters.

There are no mounds of earth;
so I assume these are not being made by moles or voles.
Can anyone suggest what creatures are responsible ?

Why not a bank vole?
--
Kay

Old 28-06-2004, 09:12 PM
Chris J Dixon

Raymond RUSSELL wrote:

In (what I loosely describe as) the lawn in our orchard
a lot of approx. golf-ball-sized holes have appeared
in little clusters.

There are no mounds of earth;
so I assume these are not being made by moles or voles.
Can anyone suggest what creatures are responsible ?

Squirrels are leaving holes in my lawn of roughly that size,
though not in clusters.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old 30-06-2004, 06:15 PM
Chris Hogg

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 11:25:33 +0100, "Raymond RUSSELL"
wrote:

Hello all

In (what I loosely describe as) the lawn in our orchard
a lot of approx. golf-ball-sized holes have appeared
in little clusters.

There are no mounds of earth;
so I assume these are not being made by moles or voles.
Can anyone suggest what creatures are responsible ?

These creatures don't appear to be damaging the younger trees.
However, they did almost damage me
when one foot of the ladder sank into such a hole
and down I came.

Best regards from Ray

Badgers scuff our lawn looking for worms etc, leaving shallow
irregular holes and untidy divots, rather like the beginners' range on
a golf course.

--
Chris

mole, vole smitty48 Edible Gardening 1 26-10-2003 01:32 AM
New Anti-vole Weapon! Shiva Roses 9 18-08-2003 05:02 PM
Deadly Vole Damage bthache Gardening 0 20-05-2003 09:08 PM
FYI: X-, XX-, and XXX-Rated Plants Bob Batson Gardening 0 29-03-2003 01:56 AM
mole,vole, ? CaringIsTheFirstStep Edible Gardening 2 15-03-2003 10:20 PM