Old 30-06-2004, 12:36 PM
Registered User

Location: Kingston upon Thames
Question Career change - any advice?

Hi, Dominic here. Newbie to urg - but have already found some help with my tomato plants!

I've had enough trying to sell computer systems for a living and (after much deliberation) am settling on the idea of a career in landscape gardening and garden design.

I have a small amount of experience gardening and once worked for a landscape gardener (when I was at school - about 15 years ago).

I am planning my career move in stages, and any advice (constructive or otherwise) will be greatly appreciated.

1) Find a trainee position with a local (near Kingston upon Thames) firm for the summer months. Anyone know any landscape gardening firms that are employing at the moment?

2) Find an evening course on landscaping/garden design over the summer months. Any recommendations?

3) Read up. I've visited a local bookshop but was overwhelmed by the choice (and price). Good books anyone?

2) Continue working and attend a part time course from September in landscaping/garden design. I'm currently looking at Merrist Wood College - are there any other suggestions? I'd far prefer classroom/practical rather than distance learning.

Many thanks in advance for any assistance!

Dom