Old 07-07-2004, 01:03 PM
Geoff Bryant

Default Plant ID?

Does anyone have any ideas what this daisy may be?

http://www.hortiphoto.com/transfers/HPA2812.jpg

It's a subshrub or evergreen perennial around 40-50cm high, the flowerheads
are up 5cm diameter and I photographed it today, which is midwinter here in
New Zealand. It's been flowering for several months and shows no sign of
stopping. The garden is in a frost-free area.

--
Geoff Bryant
www.hortiphoto.com

Old 07-07-2004, 01:03 PM
Sacha

On 7/7/04 12:17, in article , "Geoff
Bryant" wrote:

Does anyone have any ideas what this daisy may be?

http://www.hortiphoto.com/transfers/HPA2812.jpg

It's a subshrub or evergreen perennial around 40-50cm high, the flowerheads
are up 5cm diameter and I photographed it today, which is midwinter here in
New Zealand. It's been flowering for several months and shows no sign of
stopping. The garden is in a frost-free area.

It's a Euryops and I think it's chrysanthemoides from what I can see of the
leaf. They are absolutely marvellous plants and go on flowering for ages.
If you want to be very tidy, you can take off dead flower stalks but that's
all you need to do as they produce new flowers from every leaf joint without
any need for trimming or pinching out - they're self-stopping. Ours flower
for 8 or 9 months of every year and have survived -6 frosts but a really
hard frost will kill them.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 07-07-2004, 10:04 PM
Geoff Bryant

k...
Bryant" wrote:

[...]

Thanks Sacha. While the plant is similar to Euryops chrysanthemoides, this
garden is absolutely full of Euryops chrysanthemoides,which makes it easy to
see that regretably that's not what this mystery plant is. It's smaller than
the euryops, less woody and the leaves are fleshier, less deeply lobed and
have a faint hint of blue about them.

--
Geoff Bryant
www.hortiphoto.com

Old 08-07-2004, 01:02 AM
Sacha

On 7/7/04 9:15 pm, in article , "Geoff
Bryant" wrote:

snip

Thanks Sacha. While the plant is similar to Euryops chrysanthemoides, this
garden is absolutely full of Euryops chrysanthemoides,which makes it easy to
see that regretably that's not what this mystery plant is. It's smaller than
the euryops, less woody and the leaves are fleshier, less deeply lobed and
have a faint hint of blue about them.

I do love a mystery! Himself is deeply asleep right now so I'll show him
the pic tomorrow and see if he can help.

Old 09-07-2004, 08:02 AM
Geoff Bryant

Thanks to all who tried to help with this. The mystery is now solved. I
noticed a post about the corn marigold in alt.binaries.pictures.gardens and
thought it looked very familiar and, to cut a long story short, a little
quick research established that Chrysanthemum segetum is the identity of my
mystery plant. So yet another Mediterranean plant has established itself in
this corner of the Southern Hemisphere.

--
Geoff Bryant
www.hortiphoto.com