Old 11-07-2004, 10:05 AM
Steve

Default Increase in the snail population?

Follwing on from a discussion in another newsgroup, I wondered if anyone
here could explain the increase in the snail population in recent years?

I don't recall seeing a single snail when I was a kid in the 60s and
70s, and even up until fairly recently (say the last 10 to 15 years) but
now they appear to be everywhere.
Old 11-07-2004, 03:06 PM
Klara

In message , Steve
writes
Follwing on from a discussion in another newsgroup, I wondered if
anyone here could explain the increase in the snail population in
recent years?

I don't recall seeing a single snail when I was a kid in the 60s and
70s, and even up until fairly recently (say the last 10 to 15 years)
but now they appear to be everywhere.

There did seem to be a vast increase - some years in snails, others in
slugs - but since the last hot dry summer (seems centuries ago...), a
lot fewer around here!

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 11-07-2004, 08:03 PM
Sue

"Klara" wrote in message
In message , Steve
writes
Follwing on from a discussion in another newsgroup, I wondered if
anyone here could explain the increase in the snail population in
recent years?

I don't recall seeing a single snail when I was a kid in the 60s and
70s, and even up until fairly recently (say the last 10 to 15 years)
but now they appear to be everywhere.

Fewer thrushes?

Sue

---

Old 11-07-2004, 11:03 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from Steve contains these words:

Follwing on from a discussion in another newsgroup, I wondered if anyone
here could explain the increase in the snail population in recent years?

I don't recall seeing a single snail when I was a kid in the 60s and
70s, and even up until fairly recently (say the last 10 to 15 years) but
now they appear to be everywhere.

Warmer winters. In cold areas of the country, snails didn't normally
survive winter temps because they froze solid in their shells.

Janet

Old 14-07-2004, 05:10 AM
Victoria Clare

Steve wrote in :

I don't recall seeing a single snail when I was a kid in the 60s and
70s, and even up until fairly recently (say the last 10 to 15 years) but
now they appear to be everywhere.

Well, where I grew up in the 70s (Swansea) there were loads of snails.

There still seem to be loads of snails: I haven't noticed an increase.

Possibly they have followed me from their South Welsh fastness, and I have
been inadvertently spreading them about the country.

If so, my belated apologies. ;-)

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall

Old 15-07-2004, 06:09 AM
Franz Heymann

"Mike" wrote in message
om...
Janet Baraclough.. wrote in

message ...
The message
from Steve contains these words:

Follwing on from a discussion in another newsgroup, I wondered

if anyone
here could explain the increase in the snail population in

recent years?

I don't recall seeing a single snail when I was a kid in the 60s

and
70s, and even up until fairly recently (say the last 10 to 15

years) but
now they appear to be everywhere.

Warmer winters. In cold areas of the country, snails didn't

normally
survive winter temps because they froze solid in their shells.

Janet

Watch out if you are killing snails and slugs, it COULD be made
illegal, if scientists can prove that they feel pain. This is
according to an article in the Times, and deals with a new law to be
intrtoduced to deal with cruelty to animals. Maximum fine is AFAIK,
£25,000. The main part of the new law is to give the RSPCA the right
to enter, without a warrant, lorries, trucks, planes etc that are
transporting animals, but it does change a number of the current

laws,
but now MAY include snails and slugs.

Somehow I don't see the powers that be deciding to clog the courts
with a few million cases of folk caught poisoning or drowning their
snails and slugs. Are there the smallest animals which might be
protected under the new proposed laws, or may we go on killing
wireworms with impunity? And midges?

Franz

Mike

Old 15-07-2004, 06:09 AM
Kay

In article , Janet Baraclough.
.. writes

Okay, it's a guess, but based on observation of the recent appearance
of snails in central Scotland (mainland), coinciding with warmer
winters.

Years ago when central Scotland had much colder winters, we never had
snails, but plenty of slugs. Hens eggs accidentally left in the nestbox
overnight, could freeze solid. The frozen contents expand which bursts
the shell. I've always supposed the same happens to snails in really
cold conditions (-17C or so); which would explain why slugs, without a
shell, survive.

... although a snail shell does have room for expansion through the open
end, whereas an egg does not..

But it may be something like - slugs overwinter deeper underground and
are protected to a degree, snails are in crannies in walls. That's a
pure guess.

--
Kay

Old 15-07-2004, 01:16 PM

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 05:31:33 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

Somehow I don't see the powers that be deciding to clog the courts
with a few million cases of folk caught poisoning or drowning their
snails and slugs. Are there the smallest animals which might be
protected under the new proposed laws, or may we go on killing
wireworms with impunity? And midges?

Midges or midgets? ;-)
--
Martin