Old 14-07-2004, 12:23 PM
Philip

Default Paper bags

Does anyone have a reliable source for paper bags.

I would like to harvest my Allium seeds, and I understand the
recognised method is to shroud the Alluim head in a paper bag and
catch the seeds as they ripen and fall.

Sainsbury, Safeway and Somerfield do not have any paper bags, the
green grocers stall in Whitecross Street market has gone over to
polythene too.

Can anyone suggest anyother ideas. I have to admit being tempted to
fabicate something from a couple of sheets of A4 paper. Maybe if the
price of oil keeps rising we will eventuially see an end to plastic
bags. Surely brown paper bags would be a good use for re-cycled
paper.

Phil
Old 14-07-2004, 12:23 PM
David Hill

You could always use A5 envelopes.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 14-07-2004, 12:24 PM
Kate Morgan

You could always use A5 envelopes.

That is what I do and it works very well

kate
Old 14-07-2004, 12:27 PM
twig

"PK" wrote in message
Philip wrote:
Does anyone have a reliable source for paper bags.

I would like to harvest my Allium seeds, and I understand the
recognised method is to shroud the Alluim head in a paper bag and
catch the seeds as they ripen and fall.

Sainsbury, Safeway and Somerfield do not have any paper bags, the
green grocers stall in Whitecross Street market has gone over to
polythene too.

The supermarkets (eg my local tesco) often have paper bags for their self
select mushrooms.

But you would have to buy a lot of mushrooms to get the number of bags you
want (;-)

pk

market stalls often have paper bags

or get friendly with a local fruit/veg shop and ask where they get there
bags (i had to do this once)
they just ordered extra from there supplier and i paid cost price

twiglet

Old 14-07-2004, 12:27 PM
shazzbat

"Philip" wrote in message
m...
Does anyone have a reliable source for paper bags.

I would like to harvest my Allium seeds, and I understand the
recognised method is to shroud the Alluim head in a paper bag and
catch the seeds as they ripen and fall.

Sainsbury, Safeway and Somerfield do not have any paper bags, the
green grocers stall in Whitecross Street market has gone over to
polythene too.

Can anyone suggest anyother ideas. I have to admit being tempted to
fabicate something from a couple of sheets of A4 paper. Maybe if the
price of oil keeps rising we will eventuially see an end to plastic
bags. Surely brown paper bags would be a good use for re-cycled
paper.

Phil

An allotment shop I know sells peas, beans etc in brown paper bags. I
imagine the same applies at greengrocers, but it's a goodish while since I
was in one of those ;-))

Steve

Old 14-07-2004, 12:29 PM
D Russell

"Philip" wrote in message
m...
Does anyone have a reliable source for paper bags.

I would like to harvest my Allium seeds, and I understand the
recognised method is to shroud the Alluim head in a paper bag and
catch the seeds as they ripen and fall.

Sainsbury, Safeway and Somerfield do not have any paper bags, the
green grocers stall in Whitecross Street market has gone over to
polythene too.

Can anyone suggest anyother ideas. I have to admit being tempted to
fabicate something from a couple of sheets of A4 paper. Maybe if the
price of oil keeps rising we will eventuially see an end to plastic
bags. Surely brown paper bags would be a good use for re-cycled
paper.

Phil

One of our local, Oxon, general purpose shops uses paper bags, and would I
am sure not mind giving a few away, maybe for a small contribution. I think
they work out more cost effectiv for smaller shops.
Duncan

Old 14-07-2004, 12:29 PM
Philip

"shazzbat" wrote in message ...
"Philip" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Well Thanks to all, I feel overwhelmed. I started posting this paper
bag query as a light-hearted rant, which I disovered went off in the
direction of big bad oil.

I have to admit being somewhat surprised that the Fruit & Veg stall in
a London street market has forsaken brown paper bags. Is it time to
sell my Paper Bag plc shares?

I am off down the stationary (it never moves) stationery cupboard to
borrow a few envelopes from my employer.