Old 14-07-2004, 12:26 PM
Roger Van Loon

Default unknown caterpillar

This may be off-topic - but I found no better place to post it.

Some two months ago, I was in Guatemala, near to the border with
Honduras, and
took photographs of a very large and spiny caterpillar. I have put the
pictures on my Website:
http://users.pandora.be/roger.van.lo...pillar-res.jpg
and
http://users.pandora.be/roger.van.lo...pillar-res.jpg

It must have been about four inches long. Our local guide said it
might be poisonous, and, from the look of it, the spines certainly did
look impressive.
I do not know much about tropical insects, but I can't help wondering
what kind of butterfly or moth the caterpillar may have become by now.
It must be well-known, since I found pictures of it on the Web, but
always without the name or other info.

Does anyone know the name of this insect?

Thanks in advance,
Roger Van Loon.
--
There's more than money to be looked for in this short life of ours
Old 14-07-2004, 12:26 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Roger Van Loon wrote:
This may be off-topic - but I found no better place to post it.

Posted to sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera and followups sent there.

Some two months ago, I was in Guatemala, near to the border with
Honduras, and
took photographs of a very large and spiny caterpillar. I have put the
pictures on my Website:
http://users.pandora.be/roger.van.lo...pillar-res.jpg
and
http://users.pandora.be/roger.van.lo...pillar-res.jpg

It must have been about four inches long. Our local guide said it
might be poisonous, and, from the look of it, the spines certainly did
look impressive.
I do not know much about tropical insects, but I can't help wondering
what kind of butterfly or moth the caterpillar may have become by now.
It must be well-known, since I found pictures of it on the Web, but
always without the name or other info.

Does anyone know the name of this insect?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-07-2004, 01:38 PM
Roger Van Loon

Nick! Thanks.
That certainly sounds like the right group.
Regards,
Roger.