GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Direct drill etc. Planting methods... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/79119-direct-drill-etc-planting-methods.html)

Jack Guest 15-07-2004 01:16 PM

Direct drill etc. Planting methods...

Hi all,

I know this should be intuitive, but could anyone guide me through a brief
explanation of the following planting terms:

Turnip:
Spacing 30cm x 15cm
Direct drill and thin as soon as large enough.

Does that mean put one seed (well one seedling once have thinned seedlings)
in the middle of a rectangle 30cmx 14cm?

Isn't a drill a thing line with a little depth?

Nick Gray 15-07-2004 04:04 PM

Direct drill etc. Planting methods...

"Jack Guest" wrote in message
k...
Hi all,

I know this should be intuitive, but could anyone guide me through a brief
explanation of the following planting terms:

Turnip:
Spacing 30cm x 15cm
Direct drill and thin as soon as large enough.

Does that mean put one seed (well one seedling once have thinned

seedlings)
in the middle of a rectangle 30cmx 14cm?

Isn't a drill a thing line with a little depth?

Hi Jack,

It means that the rows/drills should be 30cm apart. You then pick out the
weakest seedlings in the row leaving the strongest at 15cm apart.

HTH

Nick
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk