Old 15-07-2004, 01:16 PM
Jack Guest

Default Direct drill etc. Planting methods...

Hi all,

I know this should be intuitive, but could anyone guide me through a brief
explanation of the following planting terms:

Turnip:
Spacing 30cm x 15cm
Direct drill and thin as soon as large enough.

Does that mean put one seed (well one seedling once have thinned seedlings)
in the middle of a rectangle 30cmx 14cm?

Isn't a drill a thing line with a little depth?

Old 15-07-2004, 04:04 PM
Nick Gray

"Jack Guest" wrote in message
k...
Hi all,

I know this should be intuitive, but could anyone guide me through a brief
explanation of the following planting terms:

Turnip:
Spacing 30cm x 15cm
Direct drill and thin as soon as large enough.

Does that mean put one seed (well one seedling once have thinned

seedlings)
in the middle of a rectangle 30cmx 14cm?

Isn't a drill a thing line with a little depth?

Hi Jack,

It means that the rows/drills should be 30cm apart. You then pick out the
weakest seedlings in the row leaving the strongest at 15cm apart.

HTH

Nick
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk

Reason we still direct seed is that our direct-seeded tomatoes harvest earlier than the transplanted ones Bill[_13_] Gardening 9 06-05-2008 04:37 AM
Planting tom seeds direct into ground? Cat(h) United Kingdom 12 08-05-2006 01:35 PM
drill attachment - start mowers etc.,. len gardener Australia 2 09-06-2004 03:19 PM
Drill hole in rock? Pat Keith Ponds 5 08-11-2003 09:42 PM
[IBC] Drill Direction For Thread Graft Jim S Bonsai 0 23-04-2003 02:08 AM