Old 16-07-2004, 08:31 PM
Registered User

Location: Somerset
Thumbs up White Wisteria

We have on our old cottage 2 wisteria (one purple, one white).

We moved in some two years ago and the purple one stretches
down one wall (approx 6 mtrs then splits (one way goes on for another 7mtr approx. and the other about 4 mtrs) This is doing just fine, lots of leaves and flowers. The problem one (read disaster one) is the white one. This leaved up this spring and flowered as usual (lots of) but suddenly we lost both flowers and leaves. Its length is about 3 mtr where it splits, one half continuing on upwards for about another 5 mtrs, the other half is also about 5 mtrs in length. We did notice that it looked sickly just after flowering. We have had a fairly dry winter (Somerset) so immediately suspected lack of water. Its located nearly next to the house wall so not a very good location for water. We are currently without any leaves although most of the wood is still pliable.

Is it dead or will it recover?

For some reason (whether connected or not) the crab apple located in the same vicinity also seems to have taken a knock although we cannot remember any bad / late frosts.

regards
Old 21-07-2004, 09:36 PM
Magwitch

Default White Wisteria

bertie muttered:

[...]

We had exactly the same problem in our house in Sussex. I might forewarn you
that both wisterias were planted at the same time 40 years ago (opposite
sides against the south-facing wall of the house), the mauve one has now
covered the whole front house and is snaking around the side, the white one
is about 2 foot higher than when we planted it. I'd say the white variety is
just less vigorous, or a mutation of the mauve, so it's weaker.

Old 21-07-2004, 09:36 PM
gary smith

If you want too see if its dead, just give the bark on a branch a
slight but hard scratch with you finger nail or a knife, and you
should see green under the bark.

If not its dead, or at least up to your scratch mark, and then work
closer to the main branch.

I have had a number of apple trees with there tips dead this year,
which I have put down to a late frost. But then the fruit at the
moment are like marbles, so thats lack of water. Also I have noticed
that some of the main trunks of some apple varities are splitting,
which does not bode well. As water and diease can then get in.

Why not visit http://www.balesfield.co.uk/gardhand.html
Old 21-07-2004, 09:36 PM
Kay

In article , gary smith
writes
If you want too see if its dead, just give the bark on a branch a
slight but hard scratch with you finger nail or a knife, and you
should see green under the bark.

If not its dead, or at least up to your scratch mark, and then work
closer to the main branch.

I have had a number of apple trees with there tips dead this year,
which I have put down to a late frost. But then the fruit at the
moment are like marbles, so thats lack of water.

!!

Whereabouts are you?
In Yorks, ours are about golf ball sized.

--
Kay

Old 21-07-2004, 09:36 PM
gary smith