Old 22-07-2004, 06:21 PM
Poppy

Default Creepy Crawlies in Raspberries

Dear All

I absolutely love raspberries so I'm now growing my own and have a good
harvest. But with the fruit comes some little tiny 'nasties' like minature
caterpillars. Does anyone know what they are? How do I prevent them from
being there? And how do I get them off the fruit? They're putting me off
:-(

TIA
--Poppy

Old 22-07-2004, 06:21 PM
ned

"Poppy" wrote in message
Dear All

I absolutely love raspberries so I'm now growing my own and have a

good
harvest. But with the fruit comes some little tiny 'nasties' like

minature
caterpillars. Does anyone know what they are? How do I prevent

them from
being there? And how do I get them off the fruit? They're putting

me off
:-(

'Might be sawfly larvae.
Had you spotted them earlier, then a spray with insecticide would have
been in order.
But now, at picking time its a bit late for that.
And washing the fruit is going to reduce the flavour.
Dunno! Not much help. Sorry.

--
ned
http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk

Old 22-07-2004, 07:42 PM
Rod

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 23:39:27 GMT, "Poppy"
wrote:

Dear All

I absolutely love raspberries so I'm now growing my own and have a good
harvest. But with the fruit comes some little tiny 'nasties' like minature
caterpillars. Does anyone know what they are? How do I prevent them from
being there? And how do I get them off the fruit? They're putting me off
:-(

TIA
--Poppy

Raspberry beetle grubs. Mostly in the hull of the fruit but you're
pulling the berry off the hull as you're picking aren't you? So
where's the problem? - left behind on the plant. If you're making jam
a bit of extra protein isn't noticed anyway ;~)
Rod

Weed my email address to reply.
Old 22-07-2004, 07:43 PM
David Hill

"......... I absolutely love raspberries so I'm now growing my own and have
a good harvest. But with the fruit comes some little tiny 'nasties' like
minature caterpillars. ........."

I don't have this problem.......my problem is that my Raspberries are in the
Birds who seem to like the mix of fruit and meat.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries