GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Wisteria flowering again (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/80696-wisteria-flowering-again.html)

David W.E. Roberts 31-07-2004 10:14 AM

Wisteria flowering again

Hi,

in my usual "never do it at the right time" style of gardening I have just
pruned the Wisteria where it grows along the balcony, because the balcony
was disappearing under new growth.

I also gave the Wisteria a big drink a few days back because of the hot
weather.

It is now putting out new growth along the balcony, including flowers.

These are not the large blooms you get in spring, but nevertheless they are
genuine flowers.

Is this common, or is the poor plant as confused as I am?

Cheers
Dave R

P.S. not sure if it is the pruning or the watering after a dry spell

Sacha 31-07-2004 10:51 AM

Wisteria flowering again

On 31/7/04 10:14, in article , "David W.E.
Roberts" wrote:

Hi,

in my usual "never do it at the right time" style of gardening I have just
pruned the Wisteria where it grows along the balcony, because the balcony
was disappearing under new growth.

I also gave the Wisteria a big drink a few days back because of the hot
weather.

It is now putting out new growth along the balcony, including flowers.

These are not the large blooms you get in spring, but nevertheless they are
genuine flowers.

Is this common, or is the poor plant as confused as I am?

They quite often have a second, sparse flush of slightly weedier looking
flowers. Some people prune Wisteria in late summer and again in
December/January, I believe. Ours gets done in winter, whenever anyone has
time to do it and seems to be happy about that.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Diane Epps 01-08-2004 07:55 AM

Wisteria flowering again

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
Hi,

in my usual "never do it at the right time" style of gardening I have just
pruned the Wisteria where it grows along the balcony, because the balcony
was disappearing under new growth.

I also gave the Wisteria a big drink a few days back because of the hot
weather.

It is now putting out new growth along the balcony, including flowers.

These are not the large blooms you get in spring, but nevertheless they

are
genuine flowers.

Is this common, or is the poor plant as confused as I am?

Cheers
Dave R

P.S. not sure if it is the pruning or the watering after a dry spell
--
I have a wisteria venusta which does this regularly I believe it is the

pruning that sets it off . I have to keep it under control as it is very
vigerous and I have it strung on a catenery. I prune 2 a year after it has
flowered and again in the winter/early spring.
Diane