GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Help save a tree (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/80706-help-save-tree.html)

hugh 31-07-2004 12:12 PM

Help save a tree

Vandals have stripped of the bark from the trunk of a local ash tree
from ground level to a height of about 5 feet.
Anyone have any suggestions as to what we might do to help it to
survive?
--
hugh

Tumbleweed 31-07-2004 02:33 PM

Help save a tree

If its all the way there is nothing you can do

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Franz Heymann 31-07-2004 03:16 PM

Help save a tree

"hugh" ] wrote in message
Vandals have stripped of the bark from the trunk of a local ash tree
from ground level to a height of about 5 feet.
Anyone have any suggestions as to what we might do to help it to
survive?

If they have done it al round the stem, it would be time to call the
local tree surgeon to remove the tree.

Franz

Kay 31-07-2004 04:13 PM

Help save a tree

In article , hugh
] writes
Vandals have stripped of the bark from the trunk of a local ash tree
from ground level to a height of about 5 feet.
Anyone have any suggestions as to what we might do to help it to
survive?

If it's stripped all the way round, there's nothing you can do.
--
Kay

Mike Lyle 01-08-2004 11:49 AM

Help save a tree

Kay wrote in message ...
In article , hugh
] writes
Vandals have stripped of the bark from the trunk of a local ash tree
from ground level to a height of about 5 feet.
Anyone have any suggestions as to what we might do to help it to
survive?

If it's stripped all the way round, there's nothing you can do.

Absolutely. But, the most extraordinary thing: in the children's
playground near me, some swine stripped the bark off the whole trunk
of a handsome purple sycamore-thing about twenty years old. (I could
have wept, sworn, done physical violence.) This was, I think, in May
or possibly even in April; but all the leaves are still on, and it's
seeding. There must have been enough moisture left in the branches to
keep it going all this time.

I've never seen a mature tree completely barked before, and expected a
much quicker collapse.

Mike.

Mike Lyle 01-08-2004 11:49 AM

Help save a tree

Kay wrote in message ...
In article , hugh
] writes

Kay 01-08-2004 02:04 PM

Help save a tree

In article , Mike Lyle
writes
Absolutely. But, the most extraordinary thing: in the children's
playground near me, some swine stripped the bark off the whole trunk
of a handsome purple sycamore-thing about twenty years old. (I could
have wept, sworn, done physical violence.) This was, I think, in May
or possibly even in April; but all the leaves are still on, and it's
seeding. There must have been enough moisture left in the branches to
keep it going all this time.

No, it's the other way around. The water goes up the middle (mainly).
It's the food that's transported up in a thin layer just under the bark.
So if the tree is barked all round, there's enough water to keep it
going a long while, and it dies of slow starvation.
--
Kay

hugh 01-08-2004 05:41 PM

Help save a tree

In message , Mike Lyle
writes
Kay wrote in message
In article , hugh
] writes
Vandals have stripped of the bark from the trunk of a local ash tree
from ground level to a height of about 5 feet.
Anyone have any suggestions as to what we might do to help it to
survive?

If it's stripped all the way round, there's nothing you can do.

Absolutely. But, the most extraordinary thing: in the children's
playground near me, some swine stripped the bark off the whole trunk
of a handsome purple sycamore-thing about twenty years old. (I could
have wept, sworn, done physical violence.) This was, I think, in May
or possibly even in April; but all the leaves are still on, and it's
seeding. There must have been enough moisture left in the branches to
keep it going all this time.

I've never seen a mature tree completely barked before, and expected a
much quicker collapse.

Mike.

According to the council's Ground Maintenance manager it is possible
though unlikely that the tree may survive.
--
hugh

hugh 01-08-2004 05:41 PM

Help save a tree

In message , Mike Lyle
writes
Kay wrote in message
In article , hugh
] writes

Victoria Clare 02-08-2004 10:02 AM

Help save a tree

hugh ] wrote in :

Kay wrote in message
.. .
In article , hugh
] writes
Vandals have stripped of the bark from the trunk of a local ash tree
from ground level to a height of about 5 feet.
Anyone have any suggestions as to what we might do to help it to
survive?

If it's stripped all the way round, there's nothing you can do.

According to the council's Ground Maintenance manager it is possible
though unlikely that the tree may survive.

If it's an ash, and was well established, I'd expect it to come back from
the roots if it is cut down to ground level. They are very tough trees. It
will be a long while before it starts looking like a tree again rather than
a bush, of course, and it will probably never get back its original shape.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall