Old 31-07-2004, 12:12 PM
hugh

Default Help save a tree

Vandals have stripped of the bark from the trunk of a local ash tree
from ground level to a height of about 5 feet.
Anyone have any suggestions as to what we might do to help it to
survive?
--
hugh
Old 31-07-2004, 02:33 PM
Tumbleweed

If its all the way there is nothing you can do

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 31-07-2004, 03:16 PM
Franz Heymann

"hugh" ] wrote in message
Vandals have stripped of the bark from the trunk of a local ash tree
from ground level to a height of about 5 feet.
Anyone have any suggestions as to what we might do to help it to
survive?

If they have done it al round the stem, it would be time to call the
local tree surgeon to remove the tree.

Franz

Old 31-07-2004, 04:13 PM
Kay

In article , hugh
] writes
Vandals have stripped of the bark from the trunk of a local ash tree
from ground level to a height of about 5 feet.
Anyone have any suggestions as to what we might do to help it to
survive?

If it's stripped all the way round, there's nothing you can do.
--
Kay

Old 01-08-2004, 11:49 AM
Mike Lyle

Kay wrote in message ...
In article , hugh
] writes
Vandals have stripped of the bark from the trunk of a local ash tree
from ground level to a height of about 5 feet.
Anyone have any suggestions as to what we might do to help it to
survive?

If it's stripped all the way round, there's nothing you can do.

Absolutely. But, the most extraordinary thing: in the children's
playground near me, some swine stripped the bark off the whole trunk
of a handsome purple sycamore-thing about twenty years old. (I could
have wept, sworn, done physical violence.) This was, I think, in May
or possibly even in April; but all the leaves are still on, and it's
seeding. There must have been enough moisture left in the branches to
keep it going all this time.

I've never seen a mature tree completely barked before, and expected a
much quicker collapse.

Mike.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:49 AM
Mike Lyle

Kay wrote in message ...
In article , hugh
] writes

Old 01-08-2004, 02:04 PM
Kay

In article , Mike Lyle
writes
Absolutely. But, the most extraordinary thing: in the children's
playground near me, some swine stripped the bark off the whole trunk
of a handsome purple sycamore-thing about twenty years old. (I could
have wept, sworn, done physical violence.) This was, I think, in May
or possibly even in April; but all the leaves are still on, and it's
seeding. There must have been enough moisture left in the branches to
keep it going all this time.

No, it's the other way around. The water goes up the middle (mainly).
It's the food that's transported up in a thin layer just under the bark.
So if the tree is barked all round, there's enough water to keep it
going a long while, and it dies of slow starvation.
--
Kay

Old 01-08-2004, 05:41 PM
hugh

In message , Mike Lyle
writes
Kay wrote in message
In article , hugh
] writes
Vandals have stripped of the bark from the trunk of a local ash tree
from ground level to a height of about 5 feet.
Anyone have any suggestions as to what we might do to help it to
survive?

If it's stripped all the way round, there's nothing you can do.

Absolutely. But, the most extraordinary thing: in the children's
playground near me, some swine stripped the bark off the whole trunk
of a handsome purple sycamore-thing about twenty years old. (I could
have wept, sworn, done physical violence.) This was, I think, in May
or possibly even in April; but all the leaves are still on, and it's
seeding. There must have been enough moisture left in the branches to
keep it going all this time.

I've never seen a mature tree completely barked before, and expected a
much quicker collapse.

Mike.

According to the council's Ground Maintenance manager it is possible
though unlikely that the tree may survive.
--
hugh
Old 01-08-2004, 05:41 PM
hugh

In message , Mike Lyle
writes
Kay wrote in message
In article , hugh
] writes

Old 02-08-2004, 10:02 AM
Victoria Clare

hugh ] wrote in :

Kay wrote in message
.. .
In article , hugh
] writes
Vandals have stripped of the bark from the trunk of a local ash tree
from ground level to a height of about 5 feet.
Anyone have any suggestions as to what we might do to help it to
survive?

If it's stripped all the way round, there's nothing you can do.

According to the council's Ground Maintenance manager it is possible
though unlikely that the tree may survive.

If it's an ash, and was well established, I'd expect it to come back from
the roots if it is cut down to ground level. They are very tough trees. It
will be a long while before it starts looking like a tree again rather than
a bush, of course, and it will probably never get back its original shape.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall
Old 02-08-2004, 10:02 AM
Victoria Clare

hugh ] wrote in :

Kay wrote in message
.. .
In article , hugh
] writes
Vandals have stripped of the bark from the trunk of a local ash tree
from ground level to a height of about 5 feet.
Anyone have any suggestions as to what we might do to help it to
survive?

If it's stripped all the way round, there's nothing you can do.

According to the council's Ground Maintenance manager it is possible
though unlikely that the tree may survive.

If it's an ash, and was well established, I'd expect it to come back from
the roots if it is cut down to ground level. They are very tough trees. It
will be a long while before it starts looking like a tree again rather than
a bush, of course, and it will probably never get back its original shape.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall

Please help me save my Lemon tree dmdrabble Edible Gardening 4 05-05-2011 05:19 PM
Help to save my apple tree... [email protected] North Carolina 1 03-07-2007 01:45 PM
Save the Locust tree Srgnt Bilko Lawns 0 21-08-2004 06:26 PM
Can you help me identify and save this sick tree? Steve United Kingdom 4 23-06-2003 02:32 AM
Half dead prune tree, how to save the living part??? Thomas Lindberg United Kingdom 3 19-05-2003 10:44 PM