GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Gooseberry Bush (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/80817-gooseberry-bush.html)

Ben 02-08-2004 11:16 AM

Gooseberry Bush

Hi,

I brought a gooseberry bush and planted it about 3 months ago, it seems to
be growing fine, as it had a lot of new growth, however over the past month
the leaves have gone grey and curled up. There is one branch that seemed to
be rotting, as it went grey and limp, I was going to cut it off, but I
noticed there there is alot of fresh green growth at the end. What could be
causing the problem? Should I cut it back? Or leave it to see if it will
recover?
Its planted against a wall, and it gets the morning sun, but then shade by
about lunch time.

Cheers

Ben

Kay 02-08-2004 05:04 PM

Gooseberry Bush

In article , Ben bjblackmo
writes
Hi,

I brought a gooseberry bush and planted it about 3 months ago, it seems to
be growing fine, as it had a lot of new growth, however over the past month
the leaves have gone grey and curled up. There is one branch that seemed to
be rotting, as it went grey and limp, I was going to cut it off, but I
noticed there there is alot of fresh green growth at the end. What could be
causing the problem? Should I cut it back? Or leave it to see if it will
recover?
Its planted against a wall, and it gets the morning sun, but then shade by
about lunch time.

Possibly mildew, as a result of being too dry - common near to walls.
Try watering it, a couple of gallons every few days. (Better to water in
big doses as watering too little won't penetrate and will attract roots
to surface where they're in more danger of drought).
--
Kay