Old 08-08-2004, 11:26 AM
Subtext Whore

Default Insects/wasps and garden furniture...

Can anybody recommend anything to prevent insects infesting my garden
furniture? Earlier in summer (June), the garden dining table and chairs
were bug free. But now, they're crawling all over every piece. It was
last treated with teak oil in June (so it's ready to be done again), but
before I treat it again, I want to ensure I'm not going to add to the
problem.

Is there any kind of spray...or something...that can stop this?

--
Subtext Whore

"Where there is a perpetual fast there are very few crumbs
on the floor." - Henry James, The Aspern Papers (1888)

Old 08-08-2004, 06:18 PM
Tumbleweed

"Subtext Whore" wrote in message
news
Can anybody recommend anything to prevent insects infesting my garden
furniture? Earlier in summer (June), the garden dining table and chairs
were bug free. But now, they're crawling all over every piece. It was
last treated with teak oil in June (so it's ready to be done again), but
before I treat it again, I want to ensure I'm not going to add to the
problem.

Is there any kind of spray...or something...that can stop this?

What are the insects? Are they eating the furniture or just crawling on it?

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 08-08-2004, 07:19 PM
Subtext Whore

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 18:18:51 +0100, Tumbleweed wrote:

"Subtext Whore" wrote in message
news
Can anybody recommend anything to prevent insects infesting my garden
furniture? Earlier in summer (June), the garden dining table and chairs
were bug free. But now, they're crawling all over every piece. It was
last treated with teak oil in June (so it's ready to be done again), but
before I treat it again, I want to ensure I'm not going to add to the
problem.

Is there any kind of spray...or something...that can stop this?

What are the insects? Are they eating the furniture or just crawling on it?

Small flies and wasps hovering and crawling all over it. I'm assuming
it's not the teak oil to blame because the furniture was used for a couple
of weeks after the first (thorough) application and there wasn't a single
problem. We were hardly bothered by insects at all.

Since last week, the furniture has been protected by a tarpaulin. Since
its removal, that's when the problem has started.

Old 08-08-2004, 09:35 PM
Tumbleweed

[...]

Did it get some moisture on it from condensation under the tarp? The wasps
in my garden (millions of the buggers at the mo) are attracted to anything
damp, presumably to help build their nests. As its been very dry recently,
that might be it. Unless they are attracted to teak oil though I've never
noticed that on our bench.