GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Plants feelings (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/81653-plants-feelings.html)

Helen 14-08-2004 02:16 AM

Plants feelings

Recently I saw a programme about whether or not plants have feelings - some
said "of course they don't" and there were others who said they were sure
they did. What do you think?

Alan Gould 14-08-2004 06:24 AM

Plants feelings

In article , Helen
writes
Recently I saw a programme about whether or not plants have feelings - some
said "of course they don't" and there were others who said they were sure
they did. What do you think?

Plants react to their treatment and surroundings by various means. They
are born, grow, feed, drink, procreate, protect themselves, age and die.
They are living beings, as are mobile creatures of the animal world.
They do not have a brain but they do have the equivalent of a nerve
system by which messages are carried between their physical parts.

In humans, feelings are seen as the operation of the nerve system in
body and mind. That makes them sentient creatures. They can observe and
communicate about the feelings of other beings, but they cannot
experience them. That has often led to a belief that such feelings do
not exist, as seen in the case of fish, animals and even other humans.

I personally think that plants do have feelings of a type, though
probably not experienced as humans feel pain or emotion.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Kay 14-08-2004 08:25 AM

Plants feelings

In article , Helen
writes
Recently I saw a programme about whether or not plants have feelings - some
said "of course they don't" and there were others who said they were sure
they did. What do you think?

First you have to be clear about what you mean by 'feelings'. Mere
reaction to sensory perception? Emotional response?

--
Kay

Broadback 14-08-2004 08:25 AM

Plants feelings

Alan Gould wrote:

In article , Helen
writes

[...]

If it is ever proved that plants have feelings, and can feel pain what
on earth are veggies going to do? :-(

--
Please do not reply by Email, as all
emails to this address are automatically deleted.

dave @ stejonda 14-08-2004 09:06 AM

Plants feelings

In message , Broadback
writes
If it is ever proved that plants have feelings, and can feel pain what
on earth are veggies going to do? :-(

Eat cabbages that are certified to have died a natural death.

(Who originally wrote that? - Asimov?)

--
dave @ stejonda
Bring culture back to NTL.

Kay 14-08-2004 10:33 AM

Plants feelings

In article , Broadback
writes
If it is ever proved that plants have feelings, and can feel pain what on earth
are veggies going to do? :-(

They become frutarians - who will only eat bits that animals and plants
shed - fruit is OK, as is milk and possibly eggs, but not carrots.
--
Kay

dave @ stejonda 14-08-2004 10:48 AM

Plants feelings

In message , Kay
writes
fruit is OK, as is milk

though it's not the milk that is the concern but the veal that is
necessary for (cow) milk to be produced

JennyC 14-08-2004 11:26 AM

Plants feelings

"Helen" wrote in message
u...
Recently I saw a programme about whether or not plants have feelings - some
said "of course they don't" and there were others who said they were sure
they did. What do you think?

Not having a nervous system, I feel they probably don't, but there are huge
discussions on the net about this very subject:
http://ar.vegnews.org/plant_consciousness.html

Jenny

Kay 14-08-2004 12:06 PM

Plants feelings

In article , dave @ stejonda NoSpamThanks
@stejonda.freeuk.com writes
In message , Kay
writes
fruit is OK, as is milk

though it's not the milk that is the concern but the veal that is
necessary for (cow) milk to be produced

That's not strictly so, is it? You can take some of a cow's milk and
leave enough for the calf. I thought veal production had a whole source
of other worries.

It's impossible to live without drawing some veil over some aspect of
what you are doing. Different people draw the line in different places.
The truth is that as a species we are just too abundant not to have an
adverse effect. That doesn't absolve us from the responsibility to try
to minimise that effect.

--
Kay

Kay 14-08-2004 12:09 PM

Plants feelings

In article , JennyC
writes

"Helen" wrote in message
. au...
Recently I saw a programme about whether or not plants have feelings - some
said "of course they don't" and there were others who said they were sure
they did. What do you think?

Not having a nervous system, I feel they probably don't,

Comes back to definition of 'feelings' doesn't it? Does someone whose
nervous system is shot to hell have less 'feelings' than the rest of us?
Less physical sensation, yes, but their emotions are intact, and their
capacity for distress.

I'm inclined to think it's something to do with the extent to which the
control systems are centralised.

--
Kay

Sacha 14-08-2004 01:43 PM

On 14/8/04 12:09, in article , "Kay"
wrote:

snip Comes back to definition of 'feelings' doesn't it? Does someone
whose
nervous system is shot to hell have less 'feelings' than the rest of us?
Less physical sensation, yes, but their emotions are intact, and their
capacity for distress.

I'm inclined to think it's something to do with the extent to which the
control systems are centralised.

Do you remember there was something written about experiments in this line?
Was it in The Secret Life of Plants? I seem to recall something about a
scientist burning the leaf of a plant with a cigarette and then the plant
was hooked up to electrodes to register its 'reactions'. When the same man
entered the room again there was - apparently - a distinct reaction from the
plant. I may not be remembering this very clearly but it was along those
lines.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Sacha 14-08-2004 01:54 PM

On 14/8/04 13:56, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 13:43:48 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

snip

Do you remember there was something written about experiments in this line?
Was it in The Secret Life of Plants? I seem to recall something about a
scientist burning the leaf of a plant with a cigarette and then the plant
was hooked up to electrodes to register its 'reactions'. When the same man
entered the room again there was - apparently - a distinct reaction from the
plant. I may not be remembering this very clearly but it was along those
lines.

Is this thread leading to giving up eating food all together? ;-)

If taken to its logical conclusion it's going to given vegans and
vegetarians food for nothing but thought. ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Stephen Howard 14-08-2004 03:18 PM

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 11:16:49 +1000, "Helen" wrote:

Recently I saw a programme about whether or not plants have feelings - some
said "of course they don't" and there were others who said they were sure
they did. What do you think?

I think it unlikely.
Evolution makes use of whatever advantages it can lay its hands on -
and in the case of animals it's made very good use of the range of
feelings that we might term 'instincts'.

Had the same been true for plants then you might find that your
courgettes would kick you in the shins when you tried to pick
them...or your sweet peas slap you round the face when you tried to
cut the blooms.
They've been around a great deal longer than us, so it's fair to
assume that if they haven't evolved in this fashion by now then they
never will.

Plants ( and any other living things ) have the ability to react to
their environment based on what their senses, such as they are, allow
them to perceive - although you could argue that for the most part
these reactions are more mechanical in nature.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Franz Heymann 14-08-2004 03:42 PM

"Helen" wrote in message
u...
Recently I saw a programme about whether or not plants have

feelings - some
said "of course they don't" and there were others who said they were

sure
they did. What do you think?

Show me the plant's memory and nervous systems.

Franz

Franz Heymann 14-08-2004 03:42 PM

"Helen" wrote in message
u...
Recently I saw a programme about whether or not plants have

feelings - some
said "of course they don't" and there were others who said they were

sure
they did. What do you think?

Please define "feelings" before going f into this particular
pseudo-philosophical direction.

Franz

Franz Heymann 14-08-2004 07:05 PM

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 14:42:06 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Helen" wrote in message
. au...
Recently I saw a programme about whether or not plants have

feelings - some
said "of course they don't" and there were others who said they

were
sure
they did. What do you think?

Show me the plant's memory and nervous systems.

First show us yours :-)

I can let you know where they reside. Is that enough information to
make my point?
{:-))

Franz
--
Martin

Stephen Howard 14-08-2004 07:09 PM

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 17:45:51 +0100, Janet Baraclough..
wrote:

The message
from Stephen Howard contains these words:

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 11:16:49 +1000, "Helen" wrote:

Recently I saw a programme about whether or not plants have feelings - some
said "of course they don't" and there were others who said they were sure
they did. What do you think?

I think it unlikely.
Evolution makes use of whatever advantages it can lay its hands on -
and in the case of animals it's made very good use of the range of
feelings that we might term 'instincts'.

Had the same been true for plants then you might find that your
courgettes would kick you in the shins when you tried to pick
them...or your sweet peas slap you round the face when you tried to
cut the blooms.
They've been around a great deal longer than us, so it's fair to
assume that if they haven't evolved in this fashion by now then they
never will.

What about nettles, thorny things and poisonous plants? They might not
be able to kick you in the shins (though I've met docks that could
wrestle a grown man to the ground) but they have evolved a means to
resist "attack".

That's true - but the system they've evolved is an 'always on' one.
The presence of 'feelings' would surely give rise to a range of
defence/attack mechanisms that would be brought into play at
discretion, in reaction to certain conditions...in the same way that a
little terrier can be a cute, fluffy ball of fun one minute, and a
mass of sharp, pointy teeth the next ( or is that just my dog? ).

Having said all that, I'm pretty sure my Heliotropes are sulking...

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Broadback 14-08-2004 07:17 PM

wrote:

[...]

If I may steal an idea from an ancient philosopher, how do you know that
nettles do not sting unless something brushes against them?

Franz Heymann 14-08-2004 07:19 PM

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in
message ...
The message
from Martin contains these words:

wrote:

Show me the plant's memory and nervous systems.

First show us yours :-)

I hope you're not suggesting Franz's memory and sensibility might

be
compared with those of a turnip?

It is moving in that general direction at an alarmingly rapid rate of
increase, but as best I can judge, I am not quite there yet.

Franz

Kay 14-08-2004 07:39 PM

In article , Broadback
writes in answer to someone else

That's true - but the system they've evolved is an 'always on' one.
The presence of 'feelings' would surely give rise to a range of
defence/attack mechanisms that would be brought into play at
discretion, in reaction to certain conditions...in the same way that a
little terrier can be a cute, fluffy ball of fun one minute, and a
mass of sharp, pointy teeth the next ( or is that just my dog? ).

If I may steal an idea from an ancient philosopher, how do you know that
nettles do not sting unless something brushes against them?

What about Venus fly trap, which ignores a prod with a pencil, but
reacts to a live and buzzing fly?

OK, you may say that is mechanical, but then so are all our senses when
you look at them closely enough.

--
Kay

Alan Gould 14-08-2004 08:44 PM

In article , Broadback
writes
If it is ever proved that plants have feelings, and can feel pain what
on earth are veggies going to do? :-(

The same as non-veggies do knowing that animals feel pain.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Alan Gould 14-08-2004 08:45 PM

In article , Sacha
writes
Do you remember there was something written about experiments in this line?
Was it in The Secret Life of Plants? I seem to recall something about a
scientist burning the leaf of a plant with a cigarette and then the plant
was hooked up to electrodes to register its 'reactions'. When the same man
entered the room again there was - apparently - a distinct reaction from the
plant. I may not be remembering this very clearly but it was along those
lines.

'The Secret Life of Plants' was compiled by Peter Tompkins and
Christopher Bird in 1973. It was published by Allen Lane for Penguin
Books as ISBN 0 7139 0594 8. Though it quoted an exhaustive bibliography
of scientific and non-scientific material it was seen as a somewhat
tongue in cheek attempt to open up the subject of plant feelings.
Reading it put me firmly in the pro Plant life/rights/feelings camp.

This group conducted a very comprehensive discussion begun by me of the
issues involved in [IIRC] late 1997 under the title 'A Philospohical
Approach'. I learned much from that long thread about gardeners'
reactions to the idea of plants having feelings, but little firm
evidence one way or the other about the OT. Little seems to have changed
since then.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Alan Gould 14-08-2004 08:45 PM

In article , Franz Heymann notfranz.
writes
Show me the plant's memory and nervous systems.

Tell me that they do not sleep at night, or hibernate in winter.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Alan Gould 14-08-2004 08:46 PM

In article , Janet Baraclough.
.. writes
I hope you're not suggesting Franz's memory and sensibility might be
compared with those of a turnip?

More likely a Kohl Rabi.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Alan Gould 14-08-2004 08:46 PM

In article , Franz Heymann notfranz.
writes
Please define "feelings" before going f into this particular
pseudo-philosophical direction.

Corporal or emotional reactions.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Franz Heymann 14-08-2004 10:19 PM

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann

notfranz.
writes
Show me the plant's memory and nervous systems.

Tell me that they do not sleep at night, or hibernate in winter.

Neither photosensitivity nor temperature-sensitive behaviour are
indicative of the presence of intelligent behaviour.
Have you ever come across shape memory solids?
Have you considered that humble water also hibernates when the
temperature drops below 0 deg C?
Have you considerd the fact that a solar cell also goes to sleep at
night?

Franz

Franz Heymann 14-08-2004 10:19 PM

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann

notfranz.
writes
Please define "feelings" before going f into this particular
pseudo-philosophical direction.

Corporal or emotional reactions.

No.
Water reacts corporally by becoming steam at a suitable combination of
pressure and temperature.
A torch battery reacts corporally by refusing to pass a current
through a light bulb when certain chemical changes have occurred in
it.
Would you like more contra-indications?

I challenge you to design an experiment which would prove that a plant
has any emotional reactions. The concept is an emergent phenomenon
which can only be described at all in the case of higher animals.

Franz

Sacha 14-08-2004 10:49 PM

On 14/8/04 20:45, in article , "Alan
Gould" wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes
Do you remember there was something written about experiments in this line?
Was it in The Secret Life of Plants? I seem to recall something about a
scientist burning the leaf of a plant with a cigarette and then the plant
was hooked up to electrodes to register its 'reactions'. When the same man
entered the room again there was - apparently - a distinct reaction from the
plant. I may not be remembering this very clearly but it was along those
lines.

'The Secret Life of Plants' was compiled by Peter Tompkins and
Christopher Bird in 1973. snip

But was it in that book that the experiment I'm thinking of was cited? Do
you recall?
--

Sacha

Stephen Howard 14-08-2004 11:35 PM

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 19:39:33 +0100, Kay
wrote:

In article , Broadback
writes in answer to someone else

That's true - but the system they've evolved is an 'always on' one.
The presence of 'feelings' would surely give rise to a range of
defence/attack mechanisms that would be brought into play at
discretion, in reaction to certain conditions...in the same way that a
little terrier can be a cute, fluffy ball of fun one minute, and a
mass of sharp, pointy teeth the next ( or is that just my dog? ).

If I may steal an idea from an ancient philosopher, how do you know that
nettles do not sting unless something brushes against them?

You mean in the sense that they leap out and jump you?
Could be right there...I always seem to end up getting stung, even
when I know exactly where the nettles are.

What about Venus fly trap, which ignores a prod with a pencil, but
reacts to a live and buzzing fly?

That it can discriminate is perhaps down to a array of finely honed
sensors. I'd bet it wouldn't do so well with, say, an artist's
brush...unless it reacts to a range of frequencies that might be set
up by the beating of an insect's wing?

OK, you may say that is mechanical, but then so are all our senses when
you look at them closely enough.

True...in the sense that there's a reaction to a stimulus, but having
an emotional response is an entirely different kettle of fish ( and
thereby hangs yet another debate ).

Regards ( currently consoling a depressed courgette ),

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Peter 14-08-2004 11:58 PM

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 06:24:13 +0100, Alan Gould
wrote:

In article , Helen
writes
[...]

Respond to stimuli is one of the six things that all living things
do. I have been trying to remember the other five:-
Eat, breathe, reproduce, grow and ???. Judging by myself the sixth
thing could be forget!

Alan Gabriel 15-08-2004 12:54 AM

"Kay" wrote in message
What about Venus fly trap, which ignores a prod with a pencil, but
reacts to a live and buzzing fly?

snip

You have to touch the hairs in the trap twice to trigger it. It saves the
plant wasteing energy on something that isn't alive.

--
Regards,
Alan.

Preserve wildlife - Pickle a SQUIRREL to reply.

Alan Gould 15-08-2004 06:22 AM

In article , Sacha
writes
But was it in that book that the experiment I'm thinking of was cited? Do
you recall?

Yes, [I still have the book] there are a lot of experiments quoted
linking plants, their life, their feelings, their growth etc. to
electricity and magnetism. The one you refer to was actually a test to
see if plants had extra-sensory perception - between them and/or to
other beings. I quote a part of the experiment:

'He [Clee Baxter, a lie detector expert] then conceived a worse threat:
he would burn the actual leaf to which the electrodes [of a lie
detector] were attached. The very instant he got the picture of flame in
his mind, and before he could move for a match, there was a dramatic
change in the tracing pattern on the graph in the form of a prolonged
upward sweep of the recording pen. Bakster had not moved, either towards
the plant or towards the recording machine. Could the plant have been
reading his mind?' Later Bakster reluctantly concluded that it had.

--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Alan Gould 15-08-2004 06:23 AM

In article , Franz Heymann
writes
I challenge you to design an experiment which would prove that a plant
has any emotional reactions. The concept is an emergent phenomenon
which can only be described at all in the case of higher animals.

I have quoted one in this thread in a response to Sacha.

FWIW, I see plants as the highest of beings. Partly because they were
around long before animals, and partly because whereas animals,
including humans, are totally dependent upon plants, plant-life has no
need of animals - even of gardeners.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Kay 15-08-2004 09:39 AM

In article , Peter
writes

Respond to stimuli is one of the six things that all living things
do. I have been trying to remember the other five:-
Eat, breathe, reproduce, grow and ???. Judging by myself the sixth
thing could be forget!

I knew this a year ago when my son was doing GCSEs ;-)

But my mind has gone blank. /goes and searches out Revision Guide

First - it's seven, not six ;-)

Movement
reproduction
sensitivity
nutrition
excretion
respiration
growth

--
Kay

Kay 15-08-2004 09:41 AM

In article , Stephen Howard
writes
wrote:

What about Venus fly trap, which ignores a prod with a pencil, but
reacts to a live and buzzing fly?

That it can discriminate is perhaps down to a array of finely honed
sensors. I'd bet it wouldn't do so well with, say, an artist's
brush...unless it reacts to a range of frequencies that might be set
up by the beating of an insect's wing?

No it's a very simply arrangement - it has several hairs, rather like
cats' whiskers, and more than one of them has to be touched in sequence
to trigger the response.

Sacha 15-08-2004 10:30 AM

On 15/8/04 6:22, in article , "Alan
Gould" wrote:

snip
'He [Clee Baxter, a lie detector expert] then conceived a worse threat:
he would burn the actual leaf to which the electrodes [of a lie
detector] were attached. The very instant he got the picture of flame in
his mind, and before he could move for a match, there was a dramatic
change in the tracing pattern on the graph in the form of a prolonged
upward sweep of the recording pen. Bakster had not moved, either towards
the plant or towards the recording machine. Could the plant have been
reading his mind?' Later Bakster reluctantly concluded that it had.

That was it. Thanks for finding it again.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Dave Poole 15-08-2004 12:23 PM

It strikes me that the word 'feelings' is getting a bit mixed up here.
That plants react to stimuli (in other words can 'sense') is not in
dispute. They are highly reactive organisms and even without a
recognisable central nervous system, can organise themselves to react
quite rapidly according to whether they are under stress or otherwise.

It has long fascinated me that the moment a herd of giraffes arrive to
feed on one species of Acacia in the South African veldt, the entire
neighbourhood of Acacias starts to mobilise huge and toxic quantities
of tannins to both bark and shoots. After feeding for a short time,
the animals have to move on to another species. I look upon this as
an electrical stimulus given out and received by plants under attack.
I suspect it is quite common and may even be transmitted through
ground moisture.

I carried out as bit of an experiment with the 'sensitive plant' -
Mimosa pudica quite a few years ago. Seedlings were either potted up
or planted out, 8" apart in deep trays. The potted plants were also
kept 8" apart. If the leaves on a potted plant were hit or damaged,
the entire plant would collapse as would be expected, but there was
never a reaction in its neighbours.

Those in the trays reacted differently on several occasions. Mild
hitting of the leaf would result in the collapse of foliage on that
plant only. However, cutting a leaf off or severely damaging it
often (but not always) caused other plants in that tray to react as
well - even though great care was taken not to touch or shake them in
any way.

Not a truly scientific experiment for it wasn't carried out on a large
enough scale or over a long enough period. That said, it was an
interesting exercise and my conclusions were that the plants responded
electrically and that a fluctuation in electrical discharge was
transmitted through the soil moisture, which was picked up by its
neighbours, causing them to react as well.

Back to feelings, I have great difficulty in according plants with
the ability to feel in an emotional way (love, hate etc.) for this
requires quite complex thought processing. Emotion is a consequence
of the need to remain together (as a pairing) or within one's own peer
group for self protection and the successful rearing of young. Its
roots are in baser instincts of the survival of the species and I have
great problems in accepting that such sensations are present in any
other than life forms with a highly organised central nervous systems.

Don't you think we are getting a tad too phyllanthropomorphic ;-)

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November

Stephen Howard 15-08-2004 12:51 PM

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 09:39:21 +0100, Kay
wrote:

In article , Peter
writes

Respond to stimuli is one of the six things that all living things
do. I have been trying to remember the other five:-
Eat, breathe, reproduce, grow and ???. Judging by myself the sixth
thing could be forget!

I knew this a year ago when my son was doing GCSEs ;-)

But my mind has gone blank. /goes and searches out Revision Guide

First - it's seven, not six ;-)

Movement
reproduction
sensitivity
nutrition
excretion
respiration
growth

What about death?

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Stephen Howard 15-08-2004 12:56 PM

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 09:41:26 +0100, Kay
wrote:

In article , Stephen Howard
writes
wrote:

What about Venus fly trap, which ignores a prod with a pencil, but
reacts to a live and buzzing fly?

That it can discriminate is perhaps down to a array of finely honed
sensors. I'd bet it wouldn't do so well with, say, an artist's
brush...unless it reacts to a range of frequencies that might be set
up by the beating of an insect's wing?

No it's a very simply arrangement - it has several hairs, rather like
cats' whiskers, and more than one of them has to be touched in sequence
to trigger the response.

Aha.. that's why I figured the artist's brush would probably trigger a
response.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk