GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   allotment (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/82293-allotment.html)

georgina 24-08-2004 02:00 AM

allotment

i have a new allotment and at this time of year i am wondering what i could
plant at this time of year
could someone advise me as i am new to allotment gardening
help!!!!

Mike 24-08-2004 08:18 AM

--
British Pacific Fleet Reunion Birmingham September 17th - 20th
H.M.S.Collingwood Assoc. Mini Reunion Weekend at Coventry Sept 24th - 27th
"georgina" wrote in message
i have a new allotment and at this time of year i am wondering what i

could
plant at this time of year
could someone advise me as i am new to allotment gardening
help!!!!

The Allotment Gardeners Handbook by Alan Titchmarsh. Out of print, but there
is one for sale on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=6921201 9
14&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

(watch the wrapround)

Currently £2.20 and 2 bids in. 10 day listing 7 days to go

If the above does not call it up, go to eBay and print the item number
6921201914 in search

Hope that helps

Mike

Robert 24-08-2004 06:47 PM

"georgina" wrote in message
: i have a new allotment and at this time of year i am wondering what i
could
: plant at this time of year
: could someone advise me as i am new to allotment gardening
: help!!!!
:
spring cabbages, overwintering onions, garlic, broad beans in a month or
two if you are not in a cold spot. Try Marshalls catalogue for some ideas.

Max Wright 24-08-2004 11:46 PM

In message , Robert
writes

"georgina" wrote in message
: i have a new allotment and at this time of year i am wondering what i
could
: plant at this time of year
: could someone advise me as i am new to allotment gardening
: help!!!!
:
spring cabbages, overwintering onions, garlic, broad beans in a month or
two if you are not in a cold spot. Try Marshalls catalogue for some ideas.

Where are you? I can only speak from North London experience. Here I
find it's still well worth sowing winter spinach, oriental mustards,
chicories, winter lettuce and other salad leaves such as land cress,
lamb's lettuce and claytonia. Some of these may benefit from protection
with fleece or plastic.
--
Max Wright
www.wys-systems.demon.co.uk/plotcrop

Mike Lyle 25-08-2004 05:51 PM

Max Wright wrote in message ...
[...]
Where are you? I can only speak from North London experience. Here I
find it's still well worth sowing winter spinach, oriental mustards,
chicories, winter lettuce and other salad leaves such as land cress,
lamb's lettuce and

claytonia.

Some of these may benefit from protection
with fleece or plastic.

I've never got round to growing claytonia (aka "miner's lettuce", I
believe, because it will grow on the kind of soil often found round
coal-pits). Is it worth it?

Mike.

The Reids 25-08-2004 06:05 PM

Following up to georgina

i have a new allotment and at this time of year i am wondering what i could
plant at this time of year

a new allotmenter on my site has just planted potatoes for the
autumn, it looks like they are "working".
I will be autumn sowing broad beans.
--
Mike Reid
If god wanted us to be vegetarians he wouldn't have made animals out of meat.

Dave Painter 25-08-2004 09:17 PM

"georgina" wrote in message
i have a new allotment and at this time of year i am wondering what i

could
plant at this time of year
could someone advise me as i am new to allotment gardening
help!!!!

Plant some 'early' potato if you can. The earthing up and general
maintenance will improve the plot.
Don't expect too much but you should get something back to justify the
investment.

Dave

Max Wright 25-08-2004 11:40 PM

In message , Mike Lyle
writes

I've never got round to growing claytonia (aka "miner's lettuce", I
believe, because it will grow on the kind of soil often found round
coal-pits). Is it worth it?

I tried it for the first time last winter and am growing it again this
year. It's quite an interesting-looking little plant, and once it gets
going (in my limited experience, in early spring, but maybe I should
have sowed it in early rather than late August) it's quite productive -
I was gathering leaves and flower stalks from March to May and only took
it out then because I needed the space. It's also called winter
purslane and that's really what it's most like to eat. Supposedly very
shade tolerant too, but I haven't tested that.