GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Self fertilising cucumber (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/82438-self-fertilising-cucumber.html)

Brenda Gibbons 26-08-2004 07:41 AM

Self fertilising cucumber

This year I planted two mini all female cucumber in growbags in the potting shed. I must add that the shed has a see through roof! The vines have taken over and producing hundreds of tiny fruit which don't grow more than 2". (I am pickling them - delicious). Any ideas as to why I have not got any 5/6" size.

Franz Heymann 26-08-2004 11:36 AM

"Brenda Gibbons" wrote
in message ...

This year I planted two mini all female cucumber in growbags in the
potting shed. I must add that the shed has a see through roof! The
vines have taken over and producing hundreds of tiny fruit which

don't
grow more than 2". (I am pickling them - delicious). Any ideas as

why I have not got any 5/6" size.

Because they have all gone beyond 5/6" to reach 2"?

{:-))

Franz

Brenda Gibbons 26-08-2004 01:39 PM

Wanna punch on the nose or stuffed with a 5/6' cucumber

Franz Heymann 26-08-2004 03:29 PM

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 10:36:17 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Brenda Gibbons"

wrote
in message ...

This year I planted two mini all female cucumber in growbags in

the
potting shed. I must add that the shed has a see through roof!

The
vines have taken over and producing hundreds of tiny fruit which

don't
grow more than 2". (I am pickling them - delicious). Any ideas

as
why I have not got any 5/6" size.

Because they have all gone beyond 5/6" to reach 2"?

... and I thought it was trick question.

It's time UK went metric :-)

Actually I wondered where the OP obtained a ruler marked in sixths of
an inch. {:-))

Franz

Mike Lyle 26-08-2004 03:53 PM

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message ...
"Brenda Gibbons" wrote
in message ...

This year I planted two mini all female cucumber in growbags in the
potting shed. I must add that the shed has a see through roof! The
vines have taken over and producing hundreds of tiny fruit which

don't
grow more than 2". (I am pickling them - delicious). Any ideas as

why I have not got any 5/6" size.

Because they have all gone beyond 5/6" to reach 2"?

Do you know what variety they are? You may have been sold a pickling
gherkin type. As you're picking a lot, it doesn't sound as though
removing some will allow the remainder to grow bigger. A more valuable
crop than fresh cucumber, anyhow! As you probably only want one or two
fresh ones a week, the greengrocer will oblige, leaving you to feel
you've had a bargain with the cornichons.

Mike.

Franz Heymann 26-08-2004 09:13 PM

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
om...
"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Brenda Gibbons"

wrote
in message ...

This year I planted two mini all female cucumber in growbags in

the
potting shed. I must add that the shed has a see through roof!

The
vines have taken over and producing hundreds of tiny fruit which

don't
grow more than 2". (I am pickling them - delicious). Any ideas

as
why I have not got any 5/6" size.

Because they have all gone beyond 5/6" to reach 2"?

Do you know what variety they are?

No, I don't. Brenda never told us.

[snip]

Franz

Franz Heymann 26-08-2004 09:15 PM

"Brenda Gibbons" wrote
in message ...

Franz Heymann Wrote:
"Brenda Gibbons"

wrote
in message ...-

This year I planted two mini all female cucumber in growbags in

the
potting shed. I must add that the shed has a see through roof! The
vines have taken over and producing hundreds of tiny fruit which-
don't-
grow more than 2". (I am pickling them - delicious). Any ideas

as-
to-
why I have not got any 5/6" size.-

Because they have all gone beyond 5/6" to reach 2"?

{:-))

Franz

Wanna punch on the nose or stuffed with a 5/6' cucumber

Neither.
I say, a 5/6' cucmber sounds like a largish one.
{:-))

Franz

Mike Lyle 01-09-2004 01:15 PM

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message ...
"Brenda Gibbons" wrote
in message ...

Franz Heymann Wrote:
"Brenda Gibbons"

wrote
in message ...-

This year I planted two mini all female cucumber in growbags in

the
potting shed. I must add that the shed has a see through roof! The
vines have taken over and producing hundreds of tiny fruit which-
don't-
grow more than 2". (I am pickling them - delicious). Any ideas

as-
to-
why I have not got any 5/6" size.-

Because they have all gone beyond 5/6" to reach 2"?

{:-))

Franz

Wanna punch on the nose or stuffed with a 5/6' cucumber

Neither.
I say, a 5/6' cucmber sounds like a largish one.
{:-))

Bit early for panto, people. Wait till winter draws on...

Mike.