Old 26-08-2004, 07:41 AM
Registered User

Location: Dorset
Default Self fertilising cucumber

This year I planted two mini all female cucumber in growbags in the potting shed. I must add that the shed has a see through roof! The vines have taken over and producing hundreds of tiny fruit which don't grow more than 2". (I am pickling them - delicious). Any ideas as to why I have not got any 5/6" size.
Old 26-08-2004, 11:36 AM
Franz Heymann

"Brenda Gibbons" wrote
in message ...

This year I planted two mini all female cucumber in growbags in the
potting shed. I must add that the shed has a see through roof! The
vines have taken over and producing hundreds of tiny fruit which

don't
grow more than 2". (I am pickling them - delicious). Any ideas as

why I have not got any 5/6" size.

Because they have all gone beyond 5/6" to reach 2"?

{:-))

Franz

Old 26-08-2004, 03:29 PM
Franz Heymann

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 10:36:17 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Brenda Gibbons"

wrote
in message ...

This year I planted two mini all female cucumber in growbags in

the
potting shed. I must add that the shed has a see through roof!

The
vines have taken over and producing hundreds of tiny fruit which

don't
grow more than 2". (I am pickling them - delicious). Any ideas

as
why I have not got any 5/6" size.

Because they have all gone beyond 5/6" to reach 2"?

... and I thought it was trick question.

It's time UK went metric :-)

Actually I wondered where the OP obtained a ruler marked in sixths of
an inch. {:-))

Franz

Old 26-08-2004, 03:53 PM
Mike Lyle

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message ...
"Brenda Gibbons" wrote
in message ...

This year I planted two mini all female cucumber in growbags in the
potting shed. I must add that the shed has a see through roof! The
vines have taken over and producing hundreds of tiny fruit which

don't
grow more than 2". (I am pickling them - delicious). Any ideas as

why I have not got any 5/6" size.

Because they have all gone beyond 5/6" to reach 2"?

Do you know what variety they are? You may have been sold a pickling
gherkin type. As you're picking a lot, it doesn't sound as though
removing some will allow the remainder to grow bigger. A more valuable
crop than fresh cucumber, anyhow! As you probably only want one or two
fresh ones a week, the greengrocer will oblige, leaving you to feel
you've had a bargain with the cornichons.

Mike.

Old 26-08-2004, 09:13 PM
Franz Heymann

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
om...
"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Brenda Gibbons"

wrote
in message ...

This year I planted two mini all female cucumber in growbags in

the
potting shed. I must add that the shed has a see through roof!

The
vines have taken over and producing hundreds of tiny fruit which

don't
grow more than 2". (I am pickling them - delicious). Any ideas

as
why I have not got any 5/6" size.

Because they have all gone beyond 5/6" to reach 2"?

Do you know what variety they are?

No, I don't. Brenda never told us.

[snip]

Franz