GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Big caterpillars (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/83043-big-caterpillars.html)

tenchman 04-09-2004 11:09 PM

Big caterpillars

Hi group,
My cats seem to be a gardeners best friend.
Last couple of weeks they were catching butterflies.

This week they are dragging in very large caterpillars (so far 7 for the
week).

Now when I say large, they are large, up to 41/2 inches long, with the
imitation large eyes and a large horn on what appears to be the back end.
Colour dark grey, slightly lighter on the top side with a feint strip down
the side.

Anyone any idea what they might be and are they dangerous???

David

David Hill 05-09-2004 12:00 AM

Privet Hawk Moth

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

ned 05-09-2004 01:25 AM

tenchman wrote:
Hi group,
My cats seem to be a gardeners best friend.
Last couple of weeks they were catching butterflies.

This week they are dragging in very large caterpillars (so far 7 for
the week).

Now when I say large, they are large, up to 41/2 inches long, with

the
imitation large eyes and a large horn on what appears to be the back
end. Colour dark grey, slightly lighter on the top side with a feint
strip down the side.

Anyone any idea what they might be and are they dangerous???

I'd suggest the Elephant Hawkmoth.
No. Not dangerous.

Try doing A 'Google Images' on Elephant Hawlkmoth and Dave Hills
suggestion of Privet Hawkmoth and see what looks best fit.

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 05.09.2004

Sacha 05-09-2004 12:11 PM

On 5/9/04 1:25 am, in article , "ned"
wrote:

tenchman wrote:

snip they are large, up to 41/2 inches long, with
the
imitation large eyes and a large horn on what appears to be the back
end. Colour dark grey, slightly lighter on the top side with a feint
strip down the side.

Anyone any idea what they might be and are they dangerous???

I'd suggest the Elephant Hawkmoth.
No. Not dangerous.

Try doing A 'Google Images' on Elephant Hawlkmoth and Dave Hills
suggestion of Privet Hawkmoth and see what looks best fit.

And may I suggest you discourage the cats? Couldn't you get them onto
snails, or something? ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

tenchman 05-09-2004 02:27 PM

Thanks Ned,
That's what they are, but they seem to be a bit bigger than the description
given on the websites.
Probably all the good food in the garden.

David