Old 04-09-2004, 11:09 PM
tenchman

Default Big caterpillars

Hi group,
My cats seem to be a gardeners best friend.
Last couple of weeks they were catching butterflies.

This week they are dragging in very large caterpillars (so far 7 for the
week).

Now when I say large, they are large, up to 41/2 inches long, with the
imitation large eyes and a large horn on what appears to be the back end.
Colour dark grey, slightly lighter on the top side with a feint strip down
the side.

Anyone any idea what they might be and are they dangerous???

David

Old 05-09-2004, 12:00 AM
David Hill

Privet Hawk Moth

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 05-09-2004, 01:25 AM
ned

tenchman wrote:
Hi group,
My cats seem to be a gardeners best friend.
Last couple of weeks they were catching butterflies.

This week they are dragging in very large caterpillars (so far 7 for
the week).

Now when I say large, they are large, up to 41/2 inches long, with

the
imitation large eyes and a large horn on what appears to be the back
end. Colour dark grey, slightly lighter on the top side with a feint
strip down the side.

Anyone any idea what they might be and are they dangerous???

I'd suggest the Elephant Hawkmoth.
No. Not dangerous.

Try doing A 'Google Images' on Elephant Hawlkmoth and Dave Hills
suggestion of Privet Hawkmoth and see what looks best fit.

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 05.09.2004

Old 05-09-2004, 02:27 PM
tenchman

Thanks Ned,
That's what they are, but they seem to be a bit bigger than the description
given on the websites.
Probably all the good food in the garden.

David