GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   planting a new hedge (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/83082-planting-new-hedge.html)

nicola evans 05-09-2004 10:57 PM

planting a new hedge

I am thinking of putting a hedge in my front garden.

I would like an evergreen, mixed cottage garden style hedge with
flowers coming through.

I was thinking of hornbeam or beech as a base with wild roses and
lilac.

I am not sure of the soil in our area. I live in Finchley, North
London. The soil appears to be clay based and quite clumpy. A lot of
the neighbours have privet hedges which do well.

The hedge will be about 30 feet from the house. The house had a
subsidence problem and has been underpinned recently so deep roots
would not be suitable.

Many thanks

Nicola Evans

Sacha 05-09-2004 11:28 PM

On 5/9/04 10:57 pm, in article
, "nicola evans"
wrote:

I am thinking of putting a hedge in my front garden.

I would like an evergreen, mixed cottage garden style hedge with
flowers coming through.

snip

You might like to think about Fuchsia ricartonii.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Kate Morgan 06-09-2004 09:38 AM

I am thinking of putting a hedge in my front garden.

I would like an evergreen, mixed cottage garden style hedge with
flowers coming through.

snip

You might like to think about Fuchsia ricartonii.

I agree with that, I planted a Fuchsia ricartonii hedge and it is
absolutely beautiful.

kate

Amber Ormerod 06-09-2004 11:24 AM

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
. ..

I am thinking of putting a hedge in my front garden.

I would like an evergreen, mixed cottage garden style hedge with
flowers coming through.

snip

You might like to think about Fuchsia ricartonii.

I agree with that, I planted a Fuchsia ricartonii hedge and it is
absolutely beautiful.

is its a good hedging for wildlife? I am trying to double the depth of my
hedge and convert it to a wildlife friendly hedge.

Sacha 06-09-2004 12:08 PM

On 6/9/04 11:24 am, in article , "Amber Ormerod"
wrote:

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
. ..

I am thinking of putting a hedge in my front garden.

I would like an evergreen, mixed cottage garden style hedge with
flowers coming through.

snip

You might like to think about Fuchsia ricartonii.

I agree with that, I planted a Fuchsia ricartonii hedge and it is
absolutely beautiful.

is its a good hedging for wildlife? I am trying to double the depth of my
hedge and convert it to a wildlife friendly hedge.

It won't be as wide or dense a hedge as e.g. Yew or holly but we find the
bees love them and certainly birds use them for cover. If you're trying to
widen a hedge, planting Fuchsia in front of it would be a good way to do it,
IMO and you have the bonus of the flowers.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

bnd777 06-09-2004 03:13 PM

k...

wrote:

[...]

how about adding Escallonia and pyracantha then you have 2 more lots of
flowers plus berries for the birds all winter

Amber Ormerod 06-09-2004 04:31 PM

"bnd777" wrote in message

k...

wrote:

[...]