Old 04-10-2004, 06:50 AM
Brian Watson

"ex WGS Hamm" wrote in message

"Brian Watson" wrote in message

"Paul Giverin" wrote in message
Hi there,

This year, after many years of threatening, I finally got a

greenhouse.

...The greenhouse is erected on a concrete plinth that
was previously used for an aviary. I felt (rightly or wrongly) that I
needed to do something to insulate the concrete because I though it
would be quite cold.

Psst. Carpet tiles.

harbour mould spores :0)

And bare concrete wouldn't?

A hard (ie, not earth) greenhouse floor should remain dry unless watering
the plants on benches or in the side beds splashes over.

Therefore I can't see any problem with carpet tiles which have the benefit
over one piece of carpet of leaving a clean non-fraying, edge when cut.
--
Brian

Old 05-10-2004, 12:44 PM
ex WGS Hamm

"Brian Watson" wrote in message
harbour mould spores :0)

And bare concrete wouldn't?

No because it will dry out whereas carpet tiles if inside a greehouse might
stay damp for ages. Plus you can chuck a bucket of bleachy water down on a
concrete floor or jeyes fluid so killing mould spores and other nasty things
like insect grubs, larvae and eggs.

Old 05-10-2004, 11:30 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Brian Watson
writes

"ex WGS Hamm" wrote in message

"Brian Watson" wrote in message

"Paul Giverin" wrote in message
Hi there,

This year, after many years of threatening, I finally got a

greenhouse.

...The greenhouse is erected on a concrete plinth that
was previously used for an aviary. I felt (rightly or wrongly) that I
needed to do something to insulate the concrete because I though it
would be quite cold.

Psst. Carpet tiles.

harbour mould spores :0)

And bare concrete wouldn't?

A hard (ie, not earth) greenhouse floor should remain dry

Oh yeah, hands up those who floor stays dry? :-)

unless watering
the plants on benches or in the side beds splashes over.

1. never heard of 'damping down' - common practice to increase humidity
in hot weather.

2. the OP is going to have pots, presumably on the floor, where do you
think the water will drain out onto?

As others have said it'.s a waste of time with all that glass around
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:
Old 06-10-2004, 07:12 AM
Brian Watson

"Chris French and Helen Johnson" wrote
in message ...
In message , Brian Watson
writes

"ex WGS Hamm" wrote in message

Psst. Carpet tiles.
harbour mould spores :0)

And bare concrete wouldn't?

A hard (ie, not earth) greenhouse floor should remain dry

Oh yeah, hands up those who floor stays dry? :-)

As far as I can see, there is little difference in potential moisture
retention between carpet tiles and bare concrete because in practice either
option can remain moist enough to retain one sort of "nasty" or another; it
just depends how liberal the user is in their application of water to the
plants.

So, that said, carpet tiles have a slight advantage as the are better
insulators underfoot.

--
Brian